[29] "Hot Chocolate"

MY HEART is pounding and my hands clammy and my body itching to burst out of this car. Him being in the front and me in the back eases my paranoia, but at the same time I wish he'd do something more than treat me like a scared bird. Then again, all I've done is act like one. Especially right now because as soon as he says those words I realize I've gotten myself into a different conversation that what I'd planned. But I want to know.

     "Did you?" I brace for the answer.

     "I did," he says.

     The air leaves my lungs and I dig my nails into my palms to ground myself with pain. Everyone always speculated that he'd killed his father, but I never made up my mind as to if it was true or not.

     "Why?" I choke out.

     "He went after my mom first. She travels and escapes her old life now to erase some of the trauma she's experienced. Everyone wonders why she's never here and think it's because she hates me for what I did. She treats me with gratitude and we both understand she can't be here. This was a regular occurrence for him though. He went after her like any other night, I tried to help her and got beat myself, and normally he'd be done. We'd both go after each other until we were on the ground and too bruised to pick another fight, but this night was different. He didn't stop after me. Instead, he went after Annie and I couldn't let it go anymore," he clenches his jaw and I see the muscles tick.

     I feel the strong urge to cry. To sob my eyes out for the mistreatment Archer's received and how so many people are wrong about him. I must already be crying as he opens the door and moves to the back with me. All I can do is stare at him with blurry eyes and try to keep strong because it's not me who should be falling apart right now.

     "Come here, it's okay," he says and I practically throw myself into his embrace.

     And that's when the water works really start.

     "I didn't know," I say through sniffles.

     "No one does but Greyson. I'm pretty sure he told the others though," he says and strokes my hair.

     "You could've said something. You could've changed their-"

     "They've all made up their minds on who they think I am. You, on the other hand, have not. I see how you fight between being scared of me and wanting to trust me," he says.

"I feel like an idiot. You never even hurt Leila even though I've wanted to myself. I've never actually seen you do anything to live up to your reputation," I say, pulling away.

"I know," is all he says.

I wipe my eyes and try to get myself looking back to normal before meeting his gaze again. He looks at me with concerned eyes.

"I'm sorry," I tell him.

"It's not your fault. That's not something you just get over. Having rumors about me that are that heavy isn't something I expect people to flick past," he says.

I think for a moment in silence.

"I'm sorry," he says.

"For what?" I ask.

"Up until now I've been an ass and you know it," he says.

I smile softly, "Yeah, but I forgive you."

He smiles too and I scoot over to sink into his embrace again.

     "You give good hugs," I say before even realizing it came out of my mouth.