Chapter 6

The past few days have been nice, comfortable. They mostly wander around, and just chat about nothing.

Stiles realizes that he hasn't had anything to eat and never feels hungry, but the discovery sparks the debate over their favourite foods.

Another day, Peter launches into another debate on films, when Stiles calls the ones he likes boring.

They argue over music. Peter's taste is stuck somewhere in the 90s.

"I was in a coma for six years."

"Yeah, starting in 2012 and now you've been awake for three. Not an excuse anymore."

Stiles is generally into the mid 00's. But they find common ground when they realize they both like the beatles (a favorite band of both Talia and Stiles mum).

Peter is into a weird mix of classic literature and detective novels, and Stiles reads nothing but true crime, so they debate the best fictional detectives and the best and worst serial killers. They surprise each other by both admitting that the first thing they think of is the Zodiac Killer.

Stiles realizes that he's having fun with Peter. Yes, they bicker, but It's usually fun and challenging and feels nothing like the arguments he would get into with Scott or even his dad. Instead, it starts to feel familiar and easy. Comforting.

But most of all, it feels so much better than being alone.

**

It's been a quiet day so far.

Stiles is laying on his back. His feet are propped up onto a row of chairs that he thinks are meant for businessmen to sit in while they get their shoes shined. Peter looks perfectly at home sitting in one and Stiles suddenly wonders what Peter did before the Hale fire ruined his life. The thought is so jarring that Stiles Can't believe he never thought about it before.

"Hey, what did you used to do, you know, for a living?" Stiles asks.

Peter is quiet for a long moment. "Nothing, really."

"Nothing?"

"Well." Peter starts and there is more of an edge to his voice than Stiles has heard in a while. "I was burnt alive when I was twenty four and then spent six years in a coma. Then I woke up and, well, you know the rest."

"For what it's worth, I am sorry that I set you on fire… again." Stiles says.

Peter laughs.

"I mean it." Stiles insists.

"I know." Peter says, catching his breath. "It's just so absurd. That you are apologizing for killing me, and yet here we both are."

Stiles does laugh then.

When their laughter does eventually die down, Stiles tries again. "What did you want to do? Before all that happened?"

"I was finishing my final year of law school." Peter admits.

Stiles gives Peter a once over, then says. "Yeah, that sounds about right."

"What does that mean?"

"Now that you say it, you seem like the kinda guy who would be a lawyer." Stiles says.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment. I actually wasn't sure if I wanted to practice law." Peter admits after a long silence. "But it seemed like the best way to help the pack."

Stiles sits up and leans forward, his attention fully captured. For all that they've talked over, however long they've been in this place, they've never really talked. It's never gotten deep. And now that the conversation is moving that way, Stiles is intrigued.