45. Champion

-Jack-

-Jack-

I saw the gun, but I had no time to move. I heard the shots. I felt the pressure in my chest. I heard the scared yells, but then everything fell silent. I could only hear my own heartbeat, nothing else. I still tried to move. I tried to turn into a wolf. I had no idea if I was actually turning because my body had turned numb.

But only momentarily.

The pain hit me like a truck, and I suddenly couldn't breathe. When I looked down, I saw my jacket turning red. From my blood. I fell to my knees and looked up at the man who shot me. I thought no one was saying anything, but it turned out my friends were trying to fight, their lips spread in growls and yells, but I couldn't hear them.

My heart was slowing down. The world around me slowed down. The pain was still spreading, growing more intense, and I was sure I'd pass out. My chest was the worst. I pressed a hand on it, but something sharp cut my skin. I looked down and saw a tiny piece of glass in my fingertip. Glass, blood, and a hint of green liquid.

Wolfsbane.

I was a dead man now.

"Arch..." I whispered and tried to find my mate.

There were so many people around us, and more were coming. I had no idea where they were coming from. They just appeared out of nowhere. I saw chains in their hands as they tried to capture the few wolves.

"Arch...!" I coughed when I saw a glimpse of his brown fur just before I collapsed down to my knees. "No..."

My mate... They wanted to hurt my mate... But I was already dead. My body refused to move. It had no strength to stay up. And the pain... I could feel the poison slithering through my veins, spreading fast, already eating away at my flesh.

I drew air into my burning lungs and watched as they finally captured Arch, who was trying to get to me. I could feel his pain. I could feel his fear. I wanted to tell him I was all right, that he needed to focus on saving himself, but when I opened my mouth, only blood came out.

I was actually dead...

"Jack...! Jack!!"

I couldn't turn my head to see Oliver, who kept yelling my name. Odd... I could only hear his voice.

"JACK!!!"

I spotted him, but the enemy already had him chained. He was in his tiny human form. Why was he not turning? Where were his guardians? The enemy must've done something when he brought us here.

Jaden was not far from him. His head was wrapped with chains. He could not open his mouth. For a second, I wondered why, but of course... He couldn't use Howl with his muzzle so tightly shut. I wasn't sure if that would've saved me. Not with all the poison in my system.