Ch. 57 - Reflecting

A/N: second chapter for today! If you follow my Instagram (hitomi.mimii) or have read the 2021 Christmas side story you may find a reference to a certain someone ;D

If not this is the second time you're hearing of it lol 😂 (for old readers Ch 39 was edited a while back to include a mention of them because of what was discussed in that chapter!) This is the first time they're described in a bit more detail in the main fic tho

----------

Hitomi had taken the time she had alone at the dormitories to think.

She was sitting on the couch in the common area, swinging her feet absentmindedly and still wrapped in her blanket.

What am I going to do?

Bakugou was now her first crush since elementary school.

Hitomi remembered the boy she had liked in second grade vividly. He was a distant memory now, but she could recall the parts of him that had led her to be infatuated with him. He had been sort of a troublemaker, rowdy and loud. The other boys in their class often got caught up in his schemes, making trouble for their poor teacher who was only trying to stop them from causing havoc with their quirks. Hitomi remembered Nari had found out at some point, and questioned her to no end on why she liked him.

He had been kind to her, which was somewhat of a surprise because of how much of a prankster he could be to the other kids. He had told her her quirk was really cool, and was even interested in all the nerdy, space stuff she always read about.

And then, Hitomi had moved away the very next year, and he was simply ingrained in her memory as the first boy she ever had a crush on.

Hitomi had never been too heartbroken by it. It was just a small, tiny crush she had, the simple infatuation a small child would experience, and she merely moved on from it with ease. In all honesty, she'd been more heartbroken about leaving Nari. They were best friends after all. It was lucky they were able to keep in touch for so long.

But Hitomi hadn't had any crushes since then.

So how did you deal with feelings like this?

Especially when you didn't really want them.

Hitomi sighed, sitting up straight.

She couldn't let this become anything more than infatuation.

Because if she did, all it would do is hurt her.

Hitomi didn't want to change the way things were with Bakugou. She enjoyed being his friend, laughing easily with him, making teasing jabs at him with Kaminari.

How would he react to finding out Hitomi liked him?

That's what Hitomi was afraid of.

Would he treat her differently? Would knowing she had a crush on him make things weird? Would... would he not want to be friends with her anymore?

Hitomi stood up from the couch, making her way to the elevator.

As it took her up to the fourth floor, an inherent anxiety was starting to build in her stomach.

Hitomi didn't want to stop being friends with Bakugou.

Romantic feelings aside, he had become a really important person to her. Her friendship with him was different from how it felt with Nari, or Kirishima. Despite his abrasiveness, she looked up to him a lot. She admired his skills and his strength, and she wanted to be more like him.

Hitomi supposed he inspired her, in a way.

She paused in front of her bedroom door, her eyes trailing to Bakugou's room that was right across from hers.