Chapter Thirty-Seven: Above and Beyond.

Chapter Thirty-Seven: "Above and Beyond."

"IT'S FRIDAY!" I exclaimed as I walked into the kitchen.

Yasmeen sat at the table, chewing on a cantaloupe from a bowl. Her eyebrows furrowed at the screen in front of her but at my entrance, she closed shut her laptop.

"You okay?" 

"Yeah, I'm fine," She wasn't. This had been going on even before the new semester started. What was happening? "Why are you so happy?"

"Because we're going out for sushi today with Iman. And before that, I'm going to study with Clayton."

"You Clayton and never study," She laughed. "You make plans for the next party."

"Exactly," I said. "And my favourite Youtuber uploaded a new video so I can watch that later tonight. And I woke up with a really good mark on my last project. And because it's Friday. I'm in a very happy mood and I want you to be in a happy mood with me."

I put on a wide smile that she had no choice but to reciprocate her dimples etching into her cheeks. But those faded as fast.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked, taking a seat across from her. "Is everything okay at home? Is it Areeb? I thought we liked him. He didn't do—" 

"Areeb is fine," She blushed, pushing her bowl of fruits in my direction to share. "Home is fine. I've been thinking about a lot of things."

"Anything I can help with?"

"No, it's okay." She assured me as Mariam walked into the kitchen, grabbing a banana and typing aggressively on her phone. Yasmeen and I exchanged a look. There was only one reason for our friend's annoyance lately: Kyle.

"What did he do now?" I asked.

"What didn't he do? He keeps making plans and then blowing me off and somehow that led to a fight. It's 9 o'clock and we're fighting. I don't have time for this." 

"What are you going to do?" Yasmeen asked her.

"I don't know." She shrugged, attempting to brush aside the evident frustration on her face but it didn't disappear. I haven't thought about Kyle since the night at Outlaw. Yet every time I heard of him it was never anything good. All he and Mari seemed to do were argue for a pair casually seeing each other. 

When she left, Yasmeen turned to me. "I need her and Kyle to be over."

My thoughts were the same. Even if Kyle was the one who told me what was happening with Aven, I was tired of him upsetting my friend and I was tired of her trying to do something she wasn't cut out for.

I glanced down at the time and then at Yasmeen who was finding a sudden interest in our kitchen floors. She'll tell me her thoughts when she wanted to. "I'll see you later?"

She blinked before looking up at me, "I'll see you later."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where are we going?" I asked Iman as we walked through the warm building of Roger Hall in the afternoon.

"I left my sweater in this room," He said, adjusting his brown hat that was similar to the dark green one I was wearing. "Josiah said he left it in there for me to pick it up. We were talking about something."

Surprisingly, Josiah's name didn't cause that unsettling feeling in my stomach. Josiah led me to think about research which made me think of Dalhousie. Since my mom and I had spoken, I didn't find myself investing all of my energy into it as I had at the start of the school year.