Chapter 22

Aiden's P.O.V.
The golden castle was breathtaking. Of everything I had ever seen in my life, this had to be the most surreal. The twists of each column were remarkable and when taken in with the rest of the view it was overwhelming.

"Try not to catch flies, pharaoh," a powerful tenor voice called out to me.

My head snapped towards the origin and there was Osiris in all his glory. His white hair stood straight up in a spikey but styled manner. He spread his arms out in welcome towards me and I nodded in reply.

Anubis motioned with his hand for us to stop walking and we did. Osiris continued to get closer and as he did Alison gasped. I glanced at her quickly, making sure she was alright, before looking back at the god.

As Osiris got closer, his legendary scars became visible. The scars weren't overly large or even grotesque looking, there were just hundreds of them. The sheer number of them was off-putting even though the rest of him was rather handsome. They visibly crisscrossed his face as well as any other part of his skin that wasn't hidden by his dark black robes.

He smiled, his lime-green eyes lighting up as he took us in, "Now what is she?"

I felt Alison grab my bicep in fear at his words. Using my other arm I placed my hand over her's in reassurance. "This is Alison Ra... my wife," I said, purposely saying Ra instead of her old last name Bell.

Osiris let out a friendly chuckle and replied, "I know that! Nyra's binding magic is all over you two. What I asked is what she is."

"She's the great royal wife of Egypt," I answered.

Osiris narrowed his eyes slightly in exasperation then announced, "I know she is. I also know that she is not a human nor is she a demigod. So what is she?"

"Thoth believes I am something called an Amari," Alison timidly told the god while hiding behind me.

Osiris lifted his white scarred eyebrow and questioned, "And what is an Amari?"

Alison's muscles were tight as she slowly moved more into his view and answered, "Thoth claims an Amari is someone who travels between different realities."

Osiris crossed his arms and examined her. Her big blue eyes fell on the ground right in front of her and her bright blonde hair covered parts of her face. Osiris came closer and walked around her, making her hair move like wheat in a breeze.

"That could explain why your mark isn't activated but you are still very much alive," Osiris commented.

My gaze snapped to her forearm where the tattoo from Ra was and noticed that the iris was still gray. I then looked down at mine and took in the blue iris. That searing pain was horrible... but it means I'm protected down here. Is she protected down here? Her mark isn't activated.

Anubis stepped forward and politely asked for Alison to show him her forearm. She nodded slightly before extending her arm out for him. He gently used his fingers to move the skin around her mark. After a few seconds, he looked back up at her and said, "Incredible. You could simply wipe this off in a few days. Not a single thing on this is being used."

"You must be able to live in every plane of existence... even the realm of the dead," Osiris awed.

"Incredible," Osiris and Anubis mumbled in sync.

"A truly powerful gift," Osiris commented as Anubis released Alison's forearm.

Everyone stayed silent for a few moments. Osiris and Anubis from amazement and Alison and I from awkwardness. Eventually, Anubis whispered to Osiris, "Ra's favor."

"I remember you dumb jackal," Osiris teased before turning to me, "Aiden, due to your recent losses, your father has granted you the ability to enter the realm of the dead and speak to one spirit that resides here. You may choose anyone, however, that person must have had their heart weighed and been allowed to enter the field of wheat. You only get one choice and if that person's heart has not been weighed yet or their heart was too heavy you cannot speak to them and you will be sent back to the realm of the living."

One person? But I've lost four in the last three days alone. I want to speak to them all. I want to say goodbye and see them smile one last time... all of them.

"How am I supposed to choose?" I wondered.

Anubis gave me a sympathetic smile and replied, "We can't answer that for you."

I felt a heavy pit form in my stomach. How am I supposed to choose?

"We will give you until tomorrow morning to decide. Anubis will guide you to where you will be staying. I will have a meal sent up to you two in a few hours," Osiris told us.

Alison looked up at me, her blue eyes shimmering from the blue candlelight. "Who are you going to choose?" She wondered sadly.

I sighed and replied, "I have no idea."