Chapter 42

America, Marlee, and I were seated in a study of some sort. Right now, I was composing a guest list. Anyone from Hampton was accepted, and I also put down Father's clients. Any of the former selected are invited to come.

I had chosen peonies, roses, lilies, and sunflowers for the funeral. All of which, as a Carams tradition, were to be either black or white. Peonies were for Hampton and myself, roses were my parent's wedding flower, lilies were Penny's favorite, and Franny loved the way sunflowers looked to the sun.

One thing I've learned is that nothing is more saddening than planning your entire family's funeral.

America gave me helpful suggestions in choosing decorations and the food choices for the after meal. I've chosen to remove the debris from my former home and change it into a Memorial ground in honor of the burn victims, where fatalities and injuries would be recognized. There would be a list written in stone of those left orphaned.

I held back tears for the most part, and America had helped me through most of it. Marlee tried, but she couldn't quite be there as much as a mother could. We were looking through music choices, and America suggested a few she knew of from former years and occasions.

"Now, I think it would be best if-" America was interrupted by a loud boom.

A guard rushed into the room, exposing loud crashes and gunshots. "You Majesties, we have to get you to safe ground immediately!"

All three of us jumped and ran out the doors, and while we were running through the hallways, I tripped over the hem of my dress, falling to the ground. I fell on a shard of glass and cut my side.

"Here, take my hand!" A voice yelled over the chaos.

"Why should I trust you?" I yelled while attempting to crawl away. I looked at the man who had tried to help me to see he was the one from the library. His golden eyes were sincere.

I took his hand, and when he tried to pull me up, I collapsed on the ground. "My ankle-I hurt it," I groaned.

"Ok," he grunted. He leaned some of my body weight on him, and we tried walking through the hallways, although we were both lost.

I spotted Aaron down the hallway, and he made eye contact with me as I did him. He ran to the guard and me. "Is she ok?"

"She's hurt, but I can get her to the bunker," he assured him.

"Are you sure?" Aaron contradicted. "I can take her."

"Your majesty, I don't think-"

"Let me take her," he growled.

"Why do you make this so hard?" He chuckled darkly. He pulled out a small gun and shot Aaron three time to the point where he was writhing on the ground in agony.

"What the hell!" I shrieked. "Aaron!"

I tried to run to him, but the imposter-guard picked me up and threw me over his shoulder, my skirts flying everywhere. "What are you doing?" I yelled at him.

"Elisa!" Aaron yelled as I was carried further from him.

The man holding me put two finger to his ear before saying, "I have the girl. We need to go."

"You're not taking me anywhere!" I contradicted.

"Don't struggle; it makes for a living hell later," he said before moving away from Aaron.

"Aaron, I love you!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"Elisa-"

And the darkness took me.

END OF BOOK ONE