Interlude

Rock Zion Baptist Church was filled with family and friends that came out to pay their respects to the beloved twenty-five year old Irish

Rock Zion Baptist Church was filled with family and friends that came out to pay their respects to the beloved twenty-five year old Irish. For an entire hour, her casket laid open for the public to view as they would pass by one at a time like an assembly. Some weren't able to stay for the memorial service whereas others were. It was in black people's nature to view the body more than once. According to the obituary, another viewing would proceed during the service.

Wearing a teal pleated bustier sheath midi dress by Dolce and Gabbana and white heels by the same designers with the straps bedazzled in 0.1 white gold diamonds, everyone that walked in to view her complimented how stunning she appeared as if she were sleeping. Clasped around her neck was a silver necklace missing its other half of the heart with the letter "M" shaped in fancy cursive font, and on her left hand that rested atop the right one was a 14 karat gold emerald cut halo diamond engagement ring.

Diamond studs adorned her earlobes. Her nails and makeup were done to perfection. Her hair was styled by a family friend who curled her long, thick, auburn tresses loosely that pooled around her shoulders, contrasting beautifully with her attire, tan skin, and neutral undertones. All thanks went to the very man she loved the past couple of years, making sure his fiancée was sent away in style like the true queen she was.

To be honest, he felt extremely guilty for her demise even though it was never his fault to begin with. In someway he felt responsible. He made a promise to always protect her and failed. Although he hoped what he did for her in death can somehow resurrect her so they could continue their lives the way it was before, it was far too impossible. If only life worked that way.

His contemplation got the best of him that he hadn't put on a single item of clothing knowing the funeral started in less than a half hour. For days he couldn't eat, sleep and isolated himself from his loved ones and friends. He would scroll through his phone filled with photos of them together, some of which they were being silly, off guards of Irish and others professionally taken individually and together.

The videos were the worst simply because her velvety, dulcet voice is what he would miss the most; her laughter that was contagious made him laugh with her; her captivating smile that lured him in even when he showed no interest in her from the very beginnings of their first meeting. Crazy how so much changed since then. He fell in love hard; he never once thought he would love again and be all about one woman. Irish was more than he bargained for and was grateful that she came into his life and shook up his world for the betterment of himself. She became the sole reason he was the man he was today, and no other woman will ever have his heart the way she had his even in death.

The loud ringtone of his phone sounded on the end table beside him as he reached over to retrieve it. He checked the caller ID to see the familiar name flashing across the screen and answered after the third ring. "Yo?"