Epilogue

I woke up groggily. My head was pounding; I wasn't sure what had happened. I remembered being carried away from the palace, and everything I knew. I tried to sit up on the uncomfortable bed in the darkness.

The springs squeaked as I moved, and I took my hands up to my forehead and groaned. I tried to swing my legs off the side of the bed, but I couldn't. I had been chained to the bed by my left foot.

"Hello!" I screamed loudly. My voice was hoarse. "Somebody please help me!"

A shot of light burst into the room after a few minutes of me yelling. I covered my eyes with my hand, squinting to adjust to the bright light. Suddenly, the entire room was illuminated. My kidnapper stood before me in a plain black t-shirt and jeans.

"Nobody is going to help you here," he said. "Don't struggle against me, or I'll make you pay for it."

I let him bind my hands in cuffs and unlock my leg. I pushed my hair out of my eyes and got a clearer look. His honey eyes looked into mine, but they were no longer warm or friendly.

"Why the hell did you kidnap me?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Because I was told to," he replied simply. "We have to go see the boss now, so come on." He jerked on my chains, and I followed behind him obediently. There was no point in resistance.

My rugged and torn dress dragged across the floor. The walk seemed endless, and my feet ached from going barefoot. The walls, doors, and floor surrounding me were all stark white.

"Why is everything white?" I asked.

"Long story," he sighed.

"Can you stop being so vague?" I jerked on my chains, causing him to stop.

"Look, Princess," he began as he took a step towards me. "I don't know how life worked in the palace or at home, but you play by our rules now. Failure to do so will result tragically, and I don't want that to happen to you."

"I find that hard to believe," I scoffed.

"Don't talk to me that way!" He shouted. I took a step back, startled by his words. I didn't expect him to get so aggressive. "I'm sorry," he muttered. "Come on."

I followed him silently the rest of the way I was led. He paused in front of another set of white doors. He pushed them open to reveal a man sitting behind a desk. He was wearing a white suit with a crimson sash.

"Father," he addressed the man. "I've brought the girl, as you've requested."

"Good job, son. I'll call for you when I need you," the man said.

The kidnapper left the room, leaving me alone with the man behind the desk. He, too, had golden eyes and dark hair. Resemblance was obvious. "Have a seat," he said in a slick voice that made me uncomfortable.

I did as I was told, the metal around my wrists clinking. "Why am-"

"Don't speak unless spoken to, girl," he spat. I swallowed the lump formed in my throat. "Now. I am Captain Ray, but you shall call me the Captain. I am the leader of the Confederation Patriots," he declared proudly.

"You-" I said accusingly. "You burnt my house down! You killed my family!"

"Yes, and many others," he added boredly. "Join us for dinner, will you? I'm sure there's someone you'll want to meet there. Now, go get cleaned up. That ratty ballgown simply won't do here."

"Why the hell do I have to take orders from you?" I said narrowing my eyes.

He eyes me carefully. "Because, girl, I am the reason you're still alive. You may have had a wonderful life where you got to make decisions. Well, now you're in my world. My world, my rules. You had better learn how to play the game before you lose, because my dear," he chuckled. "It's going to last a long time."