→ sixteen

Angel released a sigh as she plopped onto her bed, exhaustion seeping through her veins from all the wedding planning. She had wanted something small. Klaus, however, had different plans including the largest most lavish wedding in all of Europe. Despite being angry, no, despite being furious by the revelation of Angel's wedding, Klaus had been the first one to throw himself into the planning. 

"Nothing but the best for my little Angel," Klaus had told her with a smirk before running off to compel more people to make her wedding day perfect. 

Angel knew he was throwing himself into everything to distract him from the fact he was losing his daughter. They hadn't talked much since she declared her plans to marry a man Klaus had never met and it was starting to worry her. Perhaps he had seen the determination in her eyes by her declaration or seen the sincerity of her love this time. Klaus Mikaelson knew deep down that it wasn't just another fling to Angel. 

A knock brought the girl out of her thoughts as she turned her head towards the door as it creaked open and a familiar blonde peaked her head through. 

"Hope I'm not interrupting," Rebekah greeted as she slipped into the room, silently shutting the door behind her.

"Of course not, Bekah," Angel smiled back at the vampire as she sat up on her bed, patting the spot next to her for Rebekah to join. "Just hiding away from all the planning."

"I thought you'd be more into it all," Rebekah commented as she sat next to Angel. "Not having any doubts now, are we?"

"Course not," Angel shook the words off with a small laugh before stopping and releasing a sigh. "I just wanted something a bit smaller is all."

"Ah," Rebekah muttered with a nod as she realized the human was becoming overwhelmed by everything. "Nik does like to take things a bit too far sometimes, doesn't he?"

The girls shared a laugh at the words, knowing Klaus was the most dramatic and attention-seeking Mikaelson of the family. 

"He just wants the best for you, you know that, right?" Rebekah asked the girl, who nodded her head in response.

"I know," Angel sighed as she thought of her father who had raised her since she was a baby. "I guess I should be glad he's taking it so well."

"Nik's just a bit overprotective is all," Rebekah explained as her eyes gained a distance look as she seemed to be thinking back on something else. The tone of Rebekah's voice hinted to Angel that they were no longer talking about her wedding. 

Angel knew Rebekah had dealt with Klaus' shenanigans for much longer, including the murder of her lovers over the centuries. While Angel had similar experiences, Klaus had never truly murdered something she truly loved. At least not yet.

This was why she was so shocked by Klaus' current to her wedding announcement. At first, she really thought he was going to murder the man she loved. Since then, however, he had completely switched to making sure she had the most amazing wedding in history.

Angel thought about how hard it must be to see Klaus so supportive after centuries of having her lovers murdered before her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Angel muttered, reaching out and giving the vampire's hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Don't be," Rebekah waved the apology away, but Angel could see deep down how hurt Rebekah was. "At least one of us can get our happy ending."

Angel didn't have to say anything as she leaned forward, wrapping her arms around the Mikaelson girl in comfort. Despite trying to hold it in, a few tears dripped down Rebekah's cheeks. After a few moments, Rebekah seemed to compose herself better as her ears perked at something only a vampire could hear from Angel's room.

"I, uh, think the wedding dresses are here," Rebekah pulled away as she quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and stood up, pretending as if nothing had happened. "I can go grab them and we can meet in the study to try them on in a bit, yeah?"

Rebekah looked down at Angel, who still sat on the edge of the bed trying not to look at the vampire with pity. Instead, she gave Rebekah a small nod, which was all the vampire needed before speeding out of the room to answer the knock at the front door.

Angel let out a breath, pushing herself up from the bed and standing up as she made her way in front of her mirror. She took in her tired look, worn down from all the heavy planning the past few days. Her hair, frizzled and wild, made her look like a wild dog as she used a ribbon to pull her hair back.

Clink.

The small sound from across the room distracted Angel as she pulled her eyes away from the mirror toward the bedroom window. 

Clink.

Another one caused the girl to knit her eyebrows in confusion as she made her way across the room, throwing the curtain open just as another clink echoed in the room. Her eyes trailed down to the ground, where she found James preparing to toss another rock to catch her attention when he paused at the sight of her. 

A boyish grin reached his face as he gestured for her to come down, a smile creeping onto Angel's face as she nodded eagerly. She wasted no time rushing out of the room, bouncing down the stairs in excitement at the thought of seeing James again. In the hallway, she rushed past Elijah and Kol without giving them a second glance.

"To meet her lover," Kol explained to a confused Elijah Mikaelson as he continued sauntering to the kitchen without him. Elijah nodded slowly, stopping himself as he turned to watch his brother walk off, wondering how exactly Kol knew that information.

Outside, Angel wasted no time as she ran up to James, throwing her arms around him as he spun her around in a circle before setting her down.

"What are you doing here?" Angel asked breathlessly as James continued to hold her between his arms.

"I couldn't stay away for long," James replied, bending down and pressing a kiss to her cheek. 

Klaus watched from a window of the manor, noticing the large grin that covered his daughter's face as her lover pressed a firm kiss to her cheek. His eyes narrowed at the sight, noticing the small interactions between the two as Angel laughed at something he said.

"Have you seen Angel..." Rebekah trailed off as she entered the room looking for Angel only to find Klaus watching her from the window. The female Mikaelson sighed, making her way over to Klaus as he refused to turn away from the window.

"She's really in love," Rebekah commented as the two watched the couple interact.

"Don't you think I know that?" Klaus snapped at his younger sister, who scoffed and rolled her eyes at his attitude. "It's why his head isn't on a spike at the moment."

"You can't hang onto her forever, Nik, you know that," Rebekah reminded him as she placed a hand on his shoulder. "She's human, she's not like us."

Klaus let his eyes wander over the couple one last time before he whipped around, throwing Rebekah's hand off his shoulder as he stormed out. Rebekah released a sad sigh, knowing Klaus was going through a rough time as she let her eyes wander back outside in time to see the couple share a passionate kiss.

A pang of jealousy hit her heart before she quickly shook it away, knowing she should be happy for the young human who seemed so in love.