42 | Okay, Tobias

We walk hand-in-hand toward something. I'm still processing that thought so I'm very quiet. I trust Four to not lead me anywhere deadly but when I hear rushing water, I tense up. "It's okay, we're just going behind it. There's a burrow of sorts back there."

I raise my eyebrows, "Burrow?"

"Hole in the wall? Like..." Four makes a round shape with his hand and I nod.

"Sounds like somewhere kids go to shack up," I mumble absent-mindedly. I notice how his cheeks turn red and I can't help the smirk that grows on my face. "Oh, did I just unravel your master plan, Four?" I say his chosen name with a knowing tone.

He squeezes my hand, "Something like that." Now it's my turn to redden. I feel like Tris–all bright red with embarrassment. Though her embarrassment is because she's never been around brash people. Mine is because I feel silly for how I react to Four.

That seems to make him chuckle, "You are so confusing."

"That's rich," I argue, "You're like... the most contradictory person I've ever met!"

Four nods, "Yea, sure, Rita Rose." He pauses, "Is that even your real name?"

"Of course, it is," He gives me a look of disbelief that makes me roll my eyes, "I was so dumbfounded by the fall that when you asked my name it was my instincts that answered for me. How'd you even get named Four if the fear simulations are in the second stage?"

He explains how his year, they switched the order of things around as we walk along the edge of the pit. He seems to talk more for my sake rather than answering. I grip his hand tightly and feel a cold sweat starting under my hair.

"I figured it out," I say as we step into this burrow he mentioned, "You wanted to see me panic to return the favor." My tone is light but he glares at me. "Kidding. What are we actually doing here?" I ask, sitting on the smooth stones lining the wall.

Four shrugged, "We can talk freely here. The chasm blocks all sound. And I checked for cameras–there are none."

I narrow my eyes at him, "You look for cameras too? I thought I was being paranoid."

"Paranoia is your brain keeping you ready. It's only natural with the way initiation is run now... that makes me wonder," He sits across from me, our knees are so close that they bump. "What were your aptitude results?"

"Dauntless, duh. I might have the personality of a human person but I seem to have Dauntless instincts."

Four laughs at my response, "Duh, huh?" I narrowed my eyes at him, "You never say that."

"You always say I never do this or that but I don't understand how you suddenly know me so well." I lean forward, forcing eye contact.

"I can just tell."

I scoff, "That is not an answer!"

He rolls his eyes at me and the motion makes him look so young. "I mean it, I can tell." He shrugs at me and I stare at him, not accepting the answer.

I copy his response and roll my eyes dramatically, "Fine... since you won't tell me that, then what faction did you get in your aptitude test?"

"My results were as expected, Abnegation." Four says with a shrug and that makes me draw back. As expected?

"Who expected that?" The look in his eyes tells me before he even speaks, "Marcus." My voice is quiet but I can tell just saying his name makes Four uneasy. "Sorry, I won't mention it again."

He shakes his head, "No, it's fine. I should probably try to get over that fear soon."

"Why? It's normal to not be fearless."

"Says the one with three fears!" He says.

I gaped at him, "Are you jealous, Four?"

Something in his posture changes, "Don't call me Four." I let him grab my hand, he brings it to his cheek and I close my eyes at the feeling.

He's so warm it almost worries me. "What should I call you then?" I ask, opening my eyes slowly. I blink a few times and notice how close we are now. Four's knee is trapped between both of mine and his elbows are nearly on my knees.

"Call me Tobias."

I nod, looking at him through my eyelashes, "Okay, Tobias." I test his name and decide I like how it sounds.

The way he smiles makes my heart stop. He is so pretty. Tobias turns his head and kisses the palm of my hand, a jolt shoots up my arm and makes me flinch. "You okay?" That stupid question.

"Yea, I am." Then he smirks like he knows something I don't. "What's that look for?"

He shrugs, "You react to everything I do. Even when I just... look at you." I want to glare at him so badly for being right. But it's true. I've never had anyone look at me like he does.

"That's because when you look at me... it feels like you see me." Every time I feel his gaze on me, it's like he's pulling back my skin and viewing every thought I've ever had. It's unnerving but also... kind of endearing.

I swear I feel him gulp, he's still holding my hand to his face. "Nobody actually like–looks at me," I mumble, bringing my other hand up to his face. "Not like you do."

"I find that hard to believe." Tobias sighs as I brush the pad of my thumb over his bottom lip. I was just curious... it's softer than I expected. I watch in awe as he opens his eyes slowly, his eyelashes are so long and thick that in this lighting–his eyes are shadowed. "You're like the moon, Rita. Everyone has to stop and look at you."

There's something in the way that he says this simple compliment that breaks my heart. I've never heard such sincerity in someone who is not my family and I'm not sure how to cope. I want to live in this moment forever. I'd like to turn this feeling into a dish so I can eat it every day. I want to kiss Tobias Eaton.

And so I do, I pull his face into mine, and just as our lips touch, I close my eyes. His nose bumps mine but Tobias draws back and tilts his head–allowing the kiss to deepen. It makes my entire body feel like raw electricity. But my brain is dead, all I can think of is him.

How his lips feel on mine, how glad I am that I chose Dauntless–how thankful I am for the opportunity. And how much I need to fucking breathe.

 And how much I need to fucking breathe