Chapter 24

May 15, 1996

We talked to the judge today. He's going over everything my parents have submitted over the past few months and then he'll make his ruling. I've never been as terrified in my life as I was today when they called me into the judge's chambers. I felt like a little kid again being called into the principal's office. It wasn't actually as bad as I had assumed it would be though. He had a lot of questions about me and my parents. He's the first adult in months to ask me what I wanted. He assured me that he would consider my feelings when he ruled. My parents are trying not to ask too many questions but it's obvious that they're dying to know what was said. The truth will come out soon enough but maybe it's better if I lay low for now.

 The truth will come out soon enough but maybe it's better if I lay low for now

Melanie's phone beeped loudly and she glanced down at it. "I have to go. My kids are almost done. Is there anything else you needed to know?" She asked already getting to her feet.

"I don't think so," Andra said. "You've really been helpful. I'm so sorry that we dug all this back up for you. We didn't feel like there was another option."

"It's ok. I think I needed this. It's been so long since I've talked to anyone about her or what happened. Not even Greg knows that I saw her after she died. He was so fragile that it just seemed kinder to let him believe that his vision of her was nothing more than a dream. I don't think he could have lived with the truth. We both had so much guilt after her passing, but I feel like I've finally been freed from some of that."

"I'm glad we could help with that much anyway."

Melanie nodded and motioned in the direction of the soccer field. "I guess I should go. The kid's practice will be over any minute now."

"Thank you again," Andra said as she and Cameron stood and began gathering their things. Melanie waved and then headed off at a jog in the direction of the soccer field. After depositing what was left of their lunch in the nearby wastebasket Andra and Cameron started back toward the Jeep in relative silence, taking a shortcut across the grass and up the embankment that led to the parking lot. Cameron looked back taking Andra's hand to help her up the slope. He threaded his fingers through hers as they walked slowly across the parking lot to where the car was parked.  Neither one of them said a word as he held the passenger door for her and helped her inside. He slid into the driver's seat next to her but didn't start the car.

"So what do you think?"

"I'm not sure exactly," Andra said. "There's so much to unpack. Nothing is what we thought it was. Do you believe her?"

Cameron sat quietly for a moment looking out of the windshield honestly considering the question. "Yeah I think I do," he said. "Something about the way she spoke. I can't put my finger on it. She seemed sincere."

"Yeah, I thought so too. Now, what though? If what she's saying is true then she and Greg are innocent. That also means that we're back to square one. If Savannah knew about Greg and Melanie and gave them her blessing then that can't be who she's referring to in her diary. It makes no sense."