01 | Fourita First Kiss

I keep catching myself staring at him. Four. Still a weird name, Christina had been right that first day. Four fears, something unheard of. Especially from an Abenagation transfer. Well, him transferring from Abnegation had already been unheard of. Four's full of surprises.

As I wander through the compound, I drink from the cup Christina pushed into my hands. I'm well aware it's alcohol, but at this point, I can't bring myself to care. My hair itches under my cap and I scratch at it through the fabric.

A buzz is beginning to hum inside my head–drunk. I'm getting drunk. The thought makes me laugh, I stand on my tiptoes and spot Four. He's obviously not sober. Maybe a bit more than I'm going to be in a few minutes, but still I can see it in the way he's standing.

Normally he'd be all militant and upright, like a ruler. But his head tilts back as he slightly sways. It's odd seeing him like this. I doubt he even knows I'm staring at him. I gulp down the rest of the contents in my cup, cringing at the absolutely horrible taste.

I don't like getting drunk, but the feeling of being drunk isn't so bad. It's getting drunk that sucks for me. My nose is so keen I can smell the alcohol in anything. Even in those silly fruity wine coolers, the alcohol smell beats the smell of the fruits mixed in. That's what he seems to be drinking.

Four and wine coolers aren't something I ever expected to see. It makes me laugh as I push past the party. I was officially Dauntless. I hadn't thought I'd get first place in the rankings but somehow I surpassed everyone. Tris was second. We lost more than we kept though, but my favorites survived. Along with Peter of course. He's like a cockroach in that way, he never leaves.

I can tell when Four notices me, he gives me a professional, proper nod of approval and my stupid heart soars. He's never given me much more than that. A "good job" here and there but I'm not sure why his little nods make me react so. Maybe it's because I never see him do it with the others. He's much more verbal with them.

And usually, he's criticizing the others.

"Hey, Four." I wave at his friends.

"Top of your class, good job, Rita." He tips his bottle at me and I feel my heart jump again. My stomach twists with excitement as I beam at him. The feeling in my head makes me act a bit out of turn.

Lauren's with him and she gives me a high five, "I knew you'd do well, nobody realizes that you've had it harder than any of us ever did," Even now, I still can't escape my Factionless birth. But at least now, it's a badge of pride rather than something I'm made to feel embarrassed about.

But the surprise that I of all people placed first kind of irks me.

"Thank you, Lauren, I'm just glad I even survived at all."

She raises her cup, "Cheers to that, do you have a drink? One second." She retreats and so does the other person with her. Leaving him and me. Alone.

That stupid thing in my chest pounds so loud I can't bear it. I bring a hand up to my forehead and Four leans toward me, "You okay?" He's so close I can smell the stinky alcohol on his breath. There's an undertone of strawberry but I still cringe. "Sorry," He chuckles and I realize that's the first time I've heard him laugh.

"Oh, I'm fine. Just a bit buzzed."

"You've never been drunk before?" He asks and I shake my head, "It's not so bad after that first time, just something you either get used to, or never do again."

I nod, "Don't think I'll be doing it again. I had to choke down my first drink." A real laugh sounds from him. From the way he leans back, I can tell it came right from within his chest. My lips twitch into a smirk.