Chapter 28- A dance with a prince

I felt Cedric's hand travel to my back, stopping just before reaching my waist, while the other secured my hand with a firm grip. I touched his arm and breathed, hoping for a slow waltz or we would be doomed.

It was, and I found myself pleased with my way through the music, avoiding successfully Cedric's feet. Although, in brief and sporadic moments of weakness, my eyes travelled to the floor just to make sure I didn't destroy them with my heeled slippers (he probably would need his feet in the future). Every time I did it, I received a hearty chuckle from the same prince I was looking after. And for his troubles, Cedric received a dirty look that caused his grin to grow.

In one of those times, he whispered triumphantly. "I was not expecting myself to be the dancer of the two."

A swirl allowed me time to reply with a smile, "Your highness grows a little taller and becomes too cheeky for his own good."

We both returned to our close stance, his laughter echoing in the room and causing shocking glances to be thrown at us. "I will grow taller. Father is the tallest." he said, proudly.

I stole a glance at Lord Castello and lifted my chin a little in his direction, making sure Cedric would take notice of him as well. "Is he taller than Amelia's father?"

Cedric threw one big look at the older man while we swirled again. I saw his expression grow serious, as if my question had to be considered with strong fervour. "Uhm... maybe not. But not by much... If you ever meet him, is best, however, that you never mention such a thing or he would be self-conscious."

I wouldn't have perceived the great, scary and grand Emperor Salazar as a self-conscious person over his height. Not with what I had read of the Moon royal family or what people said of him. But rumours could be just that, and imagining an infamous man like Salazar caring for what other people said, or measuring himself against a stoic duke, who most likely didn't care for such, almost made me chuckle like the child I appeared to be.

It would be fun to see.

We danced and danced, and when the music reached its highest speed, I felt his hands grow tighter and closer. And I looked into his eyes, scarlet like no other. Free, cheeky, and happy. Carefree eyes. Until they began to morph into something filled with hatred and disgust.

I loathe you. You with those golden eyes, that fair hair, that striking face... You are just like them, like the Sun people.

Those nightmares came in full swing and, to my surprise, my foot lost its way into Cedric's. He winced a little in pain, although I could only feel relief since his face had returned to normal and that horrible feeling was no longer pounding my conscience. He took me closer to better lead me and to avoid another crush on his toes.

I glanced back to my feet, counting the steps until I was sure I had caught the rhythm correctly. When my eyes went back on, I had a raised brown and a questioning look waiting for me.

My head turned around to see the couples that danced not so very far from us. I located Francis and Jenni two pairs away, and Fridh and Eloise just one. They were all too concentrated in their dance to notice us, yet I knew Wolff, the farthest one, like always, would hear everything.

I came closer to my dancing partner's ear, and in a soft whisper asked, "Cedric, what do you think of the Sun Empire?"

I fixed my eyes on him, while his head began to consider my question. Thankfully, I sensed no different behaviours from the dancing couples, no glances or approaches. Nothing changed except for Cedric.

The question turned him pensive enough to worry me, almost causing me to come too late on a step. He took a deep breath and inclined his head up. "I like the weather. A sun that always comes in the morning without an ounce of fog. Or rain. Most, I like my friends from the Sun Empire." a tint of blush crept on his cheeks, while his eyes, now lower, were still away from me. "Why are you, of all people, asking me this? I wouldn't have guessed you would be the one curious about such things."