Chapter 6: Potential

Iori-sensei briefed you and Mechamaru on the mission details one final time.

"You two will be dealing with a few different groups of curses around Kyoto. Summer is around the corner, so you can expect an abundance of curses in crowded areas."

You slinged your bag over your shoulder, "ranging from Grade 4…"

"To Grade 2," Mechamaru added.

"Yes. And the places you'll be visiting today are Kawaramachi, Higashiyama, and Kifune."

"Yes, ma'am." You bowed.

"One more thing," she held her finger up. "Yoshimori, this'll be your second mission in the field; I hope your training will help you hold your own against curses."

————————————————————

"A sorcerer's skill set may mostly be their cursed technique, but you shouldn't rely on just one strategy."

Those last words echoed through your head as you and Mechamaru rode the subway line to Kawaramachi. It's now mid-February, which means winter is coming to an end.

"Here we are." Mechamaru scanned the surrounding roads and buildings. Everything seems modern and clean, but you know better.

This place had a huge stockpile of cursed energy waiting to manifest into a curse.

"I'll get on it." You placed your hands on the ground.

You felt the spiral in your hands, though this time it was more subtle; small amounts of cursed energy gathered in your palm.

It's still a work in progress, but you can prevent low-level curses from appearing by absorbing the cursed energy yourself. It's a lot safer, especially in crowded areas.

"Good to see you're not a liability anymore."

"Thanks, Mecha— wait, what did you just call me?"

"I'll look around for more curses. Let me know if you come across anything suspicious."

"You called me a liability just now, didn't you?"

He walked away.

"You did…"

As you kept guard at the zebra crossings, you started to wonder… How much cursed energy do you have right now?

Looking back, you haven't had a chance to release everything you've stored up.

"Yoshimori! I found something!" Mechamaru's cursed energy-fueled walkie talkie spoke.

"Yeah?"

"Further down the street! Just across the intersection on the right!"

"A curse?"

"A curse user!"

"Curse user? How do you figure?"

Before he could answer, you saw a person in an alley touch a businessman's chest, sending vibrations throughout his body and killing him in an instant.

You braced yourself. Second chances don’t come often.

"Mechamaru! Keep her isolated. Don't let any more civilians get involved!"

"On it."

The curse user looked at you in surprise, readying her cursed technique. But…

"This energy… who are you?" She scanned you up and down, "that uniform. Are you from Jujutsu High, perchance?"

You glanced at the large pins on your sleeves. Not exactly subtle. "Yeah. And you're going down."