Chapter Fourteen

The meeting was over and Gabby was left with Lana in the conference room. Sharing the same space with the little sister of the man she just about resented was beyond awkward. Back when she and tan were still, together; conversations with Lana weren't so difficult. But it was long ago and she couldn't remember the person she was all those years ago. It was such a struggle to begin a conversation with someone she use to talk to all the time.

"Hey." Gabby said and mentally slapped herself over the head. Hey? To someone she spent the last hour in the room with? Real smooth. Lana bless her soul didn't laugh even though the situation allowed it.

"Hi Gabby," Lana said her ever ready smile brightening up her face. "Tan told me about your mother. I'm really sorry for your loss."

At the mention of his name Gabby felt something in her jump. She never got the hang of controlling her boy's reaction to that man. It hurt that he never thought to call her to check upon her after the call she'd given him. It wasn't that he owed her anything and she knew that he was probably thinking that she needed her space. At the very least she wished he'd still be a good friend and see how she was doing. Tan chose the asshole move and knowing him, he must have likely rationalized it as keeping the distance for her sake when they both knew it was because of himself. She should have been used to this since it was usual M.O. anyways but some part of her had always thought he'd grow up and change. So much for hoping.

"Thank you Lana. It's very kind of you." There was another pause in the conference room and Gabby was desperate to say anything. "Are you leading the team from LEE for the deal with GALA?" Yeah, obviously Gabby.

"Yeah," Lana sighed. "You know Yohan; a woman can never ever do what a man can do. And fashion is the only thing fit for a woman to do. No offence of course."

"Of course. None taken."

"It's just maddening how he is the only one that sees no potential in me. His children are just tools for his business deals."

Gabby smiled comfortingly. She was reminded of the conversation she used to have with Lana before, like now it was dominated by bemoaning her relationship with her parents especially her father. That time all she could talk about was how she couldn't wait to be away from her father and his knack for controlling everybody in his life.

Not that Gabby could blame her, she more than anyone could understand what it meant to be at the other man's calculating and manipulating ways especially as a woman. She wasn't even a member of the Lee family but she already had firsthand experience.

"There's another reason though isn't there?" Gabby said raising an eyebrow, "like Tan avoiding me for example?"

Lana barked out a laugh and gave a shrug." Well, if that's how you want to see it."

"Yeah but I'm right aren't I?" Gabby said back, not buying her act.

"I'm sensing some tension between you two. He probably didn't want to make things more difficult or complicated between two of you. If the two of you should see each other that is liable to happen."

Typical Tan Lee. He would send his little sister to attend to his responsibilities just to avoid confrontations. Four years ago when she was that love sick college girl she made excuses for him. It always amused her how she let herself to be A patsy.

"You shouldn't be so hard on him." Lana continued, "I know my brother could be very annoying but I've seen him and he's not having it easy either." Gabby wanted to argue but Lana let up a finger. "You know how my parents could get. If you guys are meant to be, you're going to always find your way back to each other. Not even Yohan Lee and Dami Lee can do anything about it." Lana smiled then with a optimistic glint in her eyes. "There is always a silver lining after the rain."