Chatper 23

I rush to the bank in Tenya's car. He insisted I take it so I have a quick get away if I needed it.

Martac is waiting outside the door. The building is still under construction since it got delayed for months when we robbed it.

He rushes to the car and opens the door before I even have a chance to turn it off or unbuckle.

"Please just hear them out" he's frantic, pulling me by my hand. I've never seen him so panicked. His words rush together, becoming almost indecipherable in his thick Scottish accent.

"I don't even know what's going on!" I pull my arm to try to get out of his grip, but he's in such a frenzy, I can't free myself.

We burst through the front doors, coming face to face with a familiar group.

"Fancy meeting you here again" I gain my composure and raise my chin to meet Fergus' gaze.

"Kagi, always a pleasure" he holds out a cup of coffee for me and I take it, but don't drink it.

"You want something." I state, narrowing my eyes at him.

"One more job."

"No." I turn on my heel, but Martac is standing between me and the door. I scrunch my eyebrows, confused why he would stop me.

"Just listen, lass" he whispers, voice shaking.

"The club is doing well, but we need one more major payout and then I can pass down that side of my business to someone younger and with fresher ideas." Fergus goes on, perfectly relaxed like he knows something I don't. Something that will make me agreeable to him.

"That sounds like your problem, not mine."

"It is your problem since you're helping heroes investigate us and you're shacking up with one too."

"Who I take to my bed has nothing to do with you." I cross one arm over my body, needing to have some form of a barrier between us. I'm getting more worried for Tenya's safety and desperately want to run back to him just to warn him that he's on a villains radar.

"It is if it's getting in the way of business. And you can't lie about going to help him today because we have someone watching the agency and you were there this afternoon. A few hours later, an informant let us know that I was being looked into." My heart drops further into my stomach with each passing admission from him. "We left you alone for months, let you have your little reprieve from work, but now you've become a thorn in my side and I require compensation."

"Fine. I'll pay you whatever you want, just leave me alone."  I would empty the entirety of my life savings if it made this whole thing go away.

"I don't want your pocket change, you're going to do a job for me."

"Absolutely not." I say without hesitation.

"Chris might say otherwise" Fergus looks past me to Martac who sucks in air loudly and I can feel his tense form behind me.

"Why did ya grab him? What does he have to do with any of this?" He sounds broken and when I turn to him, there are tears lining his eyes. I haven't seen him cry since Mitch died and even then it was a couple tears before he steeled himself against his grief.

"Lets just say that we have unfinished business and he served as good leverage to get you both here." Fergus answers cooly, getting his phone out to text someone and put it back in his pocket when he's done. He seems almost bored as one of his lackeys whispers in his ear and it unnerves me.

"Explain the job" Martac prompts, probably sensing that I won't entertain Fergus on my own. I stay silent, trying to figure out a way out of this mess without getting Chris killed as collateral.