Part 2

Chapter 13

The Seer

"Blackpearl, you're a Seer!" Cherry exclaimed, her eyes growing wider every moment, as she took everything in.

"I know," Blackpearl said dryly. Blackpearl averted Cherry's gaze. She looked embarrassed, and nervously tapped her claws against the stone floor.

"That's amazing!" Cherry said happily, ignoring Blackpearl.

"Yeah, totally," Blackpearl joked, rolling her eyes. Cherry didn't notice and nodded her head.

"Now how do we escape?" Cherry briskly inquired.

"My visions don't just pop up like that," Blackpearl explained, somewhat irritably. "Something has to trigger them."

Cherry nodded like she understood, but inside she thought, What's the point of being a Seer if you can't have prophecies whenever you want? She thought. They sat there in silence for a long time. Finally, Cherry had an idea.

"Why don't I just list a bunch of escape plans and you tell me if they might work," Cherry suggested.

Blackpearl nodded slowly. "That could work." She said thoughtfully, looking at Cherry with a hint of new respect.

Yeah, Blackpearl. I'm not just stupid. Cherry quickly shut off her brain thoughts, just in case Blackpearl could read thoughts, too. She glanced at Blackpearl, but she hadn't reacted.

"Um, we could try to break the cage," Cherry said. Blackpearl shook her head vigorously. "Okay not that. Maybe I could camouflage and sneak out?" Blackpearl shook her head again.

Cherry was losing confidence very quickly. Now what do I try? She asked herself. "Could you at least tell me something that is going to happen soon so I can build on that?" Blackpearl shook her head again, but this time she looked afraid. Her talons were pointed at the door.

When Cherry turned to look, her scales turned pale with foreboding and surprise. A guard was standing there. His scales were blue and yellow. His eyes were filled with wonder.

"Wait, you're the dragonets of prophecy!" He said, laughing hysterically. Then it hit him, and his face grimaced like, Gee, stoopid, no wonder. Better go catch them.

His arms and legs tensed, and his body tilted forward with anticipation. Cherry opened her mouth to call out a warning, but she was too slow. He lunged for Blackpearl. She scrambled back, nearly bumping into Cherry.

"Oak will be excited. She's perfect for fighting!" He cried, his voice a mix of happiness and malevolence. Blackpearl suddenly stopped struggling and went limp. Cherry tried to scratch the guard but it was too late, he had already grabbed them both. He dragged them back out into the pit, where the other dragonets were standing.

Cherry opened and closed her mouth, snapping her jaws, like a piranha. 🐟The guard didn't look intimidated, and she gave up.

The pit walls arched high into the sky, forming a big black dome. The dome blocked nearly every last bit of sunshine from the forest. Red lights were pointed at the center point and illuminated a face she didn't want to see.

"WELCOME TO MY ARENA," Oak JR boomed, striking a pose. Cherry, who had been looking at her friends, saw Shard looking in the direction of Oak JR. and looked. She gave a horrified gasp.

Oak JR. was holding the pets, the monkeys, the red panda, the fish, and was chewing a smashed avocado between his teeth.

He sneered at Amber, waiting for her to respond. Amber just looked away, not giving Oak JR.the attention he yearned for. Still, Cherry thought she saw a tear slide down her cheek at the loss of the avocado.