Chapter Fifteen | 'Cup of Joe'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

I shouldn't have, I really shouldn't have done what I am doing now. But i retraced Diávolos steps, every single one and it led up to certain dungeon or some steel door with a security guard standing outside of it. The moment I was about to step towards the bouncer, my phone rings. I groan and rush behind the wall, I glance down at the caller ID.

Cathy.

Just when I might have figured out who Diávolos is, she calls me.

"Ali....my bestie in the whole world. I n-hic-I..."

"Cathy? Cathy, are you drunk?" I look towards the bouncer, and my eyes widen once I see him. Diávolos!

"No! I am-Oh Cathy-"

"Where are you? Are you with anyone?" I ask, I figured out where he goes. I figured it out! I'm right!

"Can-Can you come and get me please...I-I don't know what to do." She begins crying, I sigh. "I'm at the club downtown."

This may be my chance after two years to see his face, to see who he might be or how he acts. But of course, my best friend always comes first. "Okay, I'm coming now. Stay next to security." I walk away from the weird looking place; I dash towards the club as quickly as I could. I couldn't let anything bad happen to her. Especially in light of what happened to me. I dialled her number again, but there was no answer.

I start to have hallucinations about what happened to me, and I jump over these ridiculous puddles from the night before. Before getting to the club, I pass by the tattoo parlour. When I show the bouncer my ID, he lets me in.

Sweaty body's begin touching me, I look around the club. Shouting her name, and then I see her half asleep on the exit door. Cathy. You are going to be the death of me. I make my way towards her, apologising and excusing myself. Reaching her, I crouch down. "Cathy?" I whisper her name. She does not wake up. I shake her. No response. But she's breathing.

I sigh and throw her arm over my neck, I push the exit door open, and we enter a tunnel. "Hey, wake up." Her eyes blast open, and she vomits, I shake my head and let her vomit on the floor. She grabs onto my neck, pulling onto the necklace.

"I like this necklace..." She yanks it of my neck before falling to the ground, I watch the necklace fall into the drain. My eyes widen in shock, she gasps. Her hands grabbing her mouth. "Ali! Oh-I feel sick." I rush to the drain, gagging at the smell. Oh Cathy, you absolute sugar packet.

"Cathy, seriously!" She giggles softly, I take my phone out and book an Uber for the two of us. "Come on, it's late."

When the Uber arrives, I shove her inside and return my gaze to the drain before looking down at my empty chest. I was annoyed on the lengthy ride home since I had his identification on the tip of my fingers and now the necklace had gone down the toilet. And I don't mean that in a figurative sense.

It's better, though, to know that my best friend is safe. Knowing that she is safe and that no one has injured or molested her is reassuring. It lifts my spirits.

When we get there, I put her in my room and open the bathtub for her to soak in. I go over to her and undress her; she limps in my arms and speaks in a slurred manner. "Come on, let's get you in the tub," I say.

I force her into the water and let her swallow her sorrows as she looks up at me and helps me lift her body by taking off the excess weight. "I'll get you some paracetamol and tea for your hangover, and please stay here for fifteen to twenty minutes, okay?"

She yanks onto my hands, "sorry-about the necklace."

"It's fine, i forgive you." She tightens her lips and closes her eyes, pulling me in for a hug. She wets my top and then lets me go.