Eighteen

[|]

Lucas' POV

My day started with the loud noises of the couple above my apartment arguing yet again and each time they did, it reminded me never to get into a relationship with someone. There was nothing but sadness, fights, and trust issues. That was why I preferred to fuck girls that I wanted and move on.

I groaned as my head throbbed achingly. I had stayed up till late, trying to finish the fucking project our professor gave us two months ago. Luckily I had submitted it two hours before the deadline— the perfect time to do what I was supposed to have done months ago.

As I got out of bed, I stretched my body, loving the cracks it made then crossed the room to the window overlooking the other buildings close by.

Just like every other morning, I started to think about how my life has been for almost a year now. I graduated last year and got into a college close to my hometown where I had schooled all my life. Almost everyone at Redside went to this college which I hated because I wanted to be away from everything that concerned Redside.

I thought about how the last few months of my senior year had gone and a picture of the one girl I severely hurt crossed my mind— Jackie Garner. Every day, she was on my mind and I struggled so much to find her but I always discarded the idea. The last time I saw her was that one night after our game. I had seen the pain and hatred in her eyes that I felt in my heart. I hated myself for making her fall into harm's way. Karma would pay me back, I knew it.

No one affected me as she did and I hated how weak I had felt. I was Lucas Hamilton, the one guy who didn't give a fuck about what others felt.

I blinked and ran my fingers through my hair then exhaled. The sun rays from the sky were beginning to peek into my apartment through the windows. That was my sign to get ready for the day. With a deep sigh, I left the window and went over to where my phone was plugged. I picked it up and rolled my eyes at the text from our department head.

"Why is there a meeting today?" I whispered at the message and dropped the phone. I hated walking into school when there weren't any classes and today was one of those days.

I walked to my closet and took out the clothes for the day then walked into the bathroom.

[|]

Later in the day, I drove my motorcycle into the school campus and parked at a spot. I took off my helmet and ignored the looks some of the girls were giving me. I couldn't help but smirk. I knew I was good looking and each time I came to school, I always left with a new girl to fuck or some phone numbers.

I turned off my motorcycle and got off then locked it, as well as my helmet to the motorcycle before walking toward the restaurant the meeting was being hosted. As I got close to the restaurant, someone rushed out of the place, bumping into me and making me drop my phone. I hissed and glared at the long dark hair that blocked their face. I bent down and picked up my phone from the tarred pathway and hissed when I saw the screen had a crack on it. I had just gotten this phone yesterday for fuck sake!

"Watch where you're going!" I said angrily and I heard a gasp from her mouth.

I noticed how her body stiffened and I got angrier when she didn't reveal her face before I knew it, she picked up her phone from the ground and turned around then walked away speedily.

"What the fuck is wrong with her? You bump into someone and you can't even apologize? And people call me evil?" I scoffed at her retreating back before walking into the cold restaurant.

I immediately got a whiff of freshly baked pastries and fried chicken which made my stomach rumble, I was hungry and might eat while the meeting was on. I walked into the place more and looked around for any signs of my class. I spotted the receding hairline of our department head and approached the table filled with at least ten of my class.

I grabbed a seat from an occupied table and sat down, ignoring the glare the old man pinned on me.

"What's this meeting for, Kingsley?" I asked, not interested in what was happening.

"We needed you here because we found out you're the only one who aced the test given to us by Professor Rosenberg," Kingsley said in his funny light voice.

"So, you called me here to be some type of tutor?" I was angry because I had more important things to do than sit here and tutor a bunch of nerds.

"Please, Lucas," a girl beside me said and touched my arm.

I glared at her small hand on my arm then at her face. She immediately blushed and looked away. I hated when people touched me without my permission.

"I'm not doing it," I said and rose from my seat.

Kingsley rose too and held my wrist, a pleading look on his face.

"Look, you need to help us. Professor Rosenberg already threatened to fail us if we don't pass his test for the second time. He gave those who were bad at it another chance and you're our only hope."

I yanked my hand out of his hold and crossed my arms.

"Why can't you just meet those who did well? Because I aced it all doesn't mean I can teach. Listen, everyone. Stay away from me. I don't want any of these. If you have problems, go beg professor Rosenberg to give you extra lessons. I've got my life to live, I didn't sign up to become a tutor," I said and left the table.

I could not believe I wasted gas to come here to listen to bullshit. As I left the restaurant, I raised my phone to my face and placed my thumb against the fingerprint— It didn't unlock. I tried it again but instead, it vibrated and told me it was wrong.

It was at that moment, that I realized that the phone I was holding was not mine. This phone was of the same brand, same color but looked a bit more used than mine which was brand new. I pushed the power button and gasped at the text on the screen.

Axe: Hey, Jackie. Tell Maddy that I'll need her to stop bugging me. Thanks.

This was my brother and this was no other than Jackie Garner's phone. The coincidence was too much and I knew that because from the names; Axel, Jackie, and Maddy, I knew that the girl I had bumped into was Jackie.

"Fuck," I whispered.