SAMPLE - Chapter Five

"NATALIE."

Mr. Edwards releases me, and turns to face her.

Her eyes widen, and her mouth falls partially open. It's clear she's staggered by his appearance in our shit-box apartment.

"Hi there," She chirps, and he holds out his hand between them. Natalie stares at it, enthralled.

"Pleasure," Mr. Edwards says.

Placing her hand in his, she dramatically sighs, and a blush settles on her cheeks.

"The pleasure is all mine," she flirtatiously says.

He smirks. "I've heard a lot about you, Natalie."

"Have you?" she asks, momentarily glancing at me. "How sweet, Sash."

I turn to Jaxon, and our eyes lock. Once more, I become breathless, flustered.

"This is my roommate, well, more like sister," I explain, quickly looking away. "And this is Mr. Edwards. Jaxon. He's, well—" I hesitate, taking note of his calm and collected composure, not having the slightest idea on what to address him as.

He places his hand onto my lower back. "I'm an old friend."

My lips part, and my legs become weak.

Get yourself together.

"Oh, that's nice," Natalie responds. "From where, high school? Because I've known Sasha for a while, and I'm sure that I've never seen, or at least heard about you before. Until now, that is."

"Nat, he's a friend," I quietly mumble. "No interrogations."

"Sorry," she playfully smiles. "I don't mean to pry. It's just me and my over protective nature, I guess."

"I can assure you, you have nothing to worry about." Mr. Edwards reassures her with a grin. "I'll take good care of her."

"Oh?" she questions. "Are you leaving?"

"Just for a little bit," I begin to say.

"Six months," he chimes in. "I've offered her a position as my personal assistant. She'll be residing with me in California for the time being."

"Wait," I rush out. "I don't even think this is plausible. I have to help with my share of the rent—"

"Not a problem," he speaks over me. "I'll write out a check, Ms. Pierce."

This is insane. This man is insane. . .

About me.

"It was great meeting you, Natalie. Sasha speaks highly of you. Although, we should really get going. The jet will be arriving soon. I'll help you gather your belongings, Sasha."

"No, it's all right. She'll help me pack."

Mr. Edwards turns his head, those piercing blue eyes locking with mine. There's an eerie silence for a moment, and I can feel my pulse increase with each passing second.

Finally, I come to realize that he must be warning me to not speak a single word about our deal.

"Don't worry," I reassure him. "I'll meet you outside once I'm ready. It shouldn't take too long."

"I'll be by my car."

He flashes one last grin in her direction, and closes the door behind him.

"Oh my god," Natalie shrieks, while I quickly shush her. "You bitch! I am so fucking jealous!"

"Why?"