seven.

Seeing Camila for a minute or two as she dropped Luna off at school was practically the highlight of Shawn's day. He'd been thinking about their date all weekend.

It wasn't just because he hadn't been out with anyone in practically half a decade, it really had seemed perfect. Well, almost perfect.

He could have gone without seeing April's parents, but at least they didn't see him. That would have stirred up a whole lot more shit, and he was lucky he had her to pull him out of a potential breakdown.

His mind kept drifting back to that moment. He was so close to crying right in the middle of their date when Camila put her hands on his face.

Her hands were so warm and tiny, grounding him and keeping his emotions from spiraling. All he could focus on then was her, how kind she was, how good she smelled, and how looking into her eyes made him feel things he hadn't felt since April.

And she kissed him, something that'd been replaying in his mind over and over again for now going on three days straight.

He and Seth had gotten to school early, as per usual. Seth ran to start playing with the toys, setting up the cars in a line in anticipation for Luna to play with him. Shawn grabbed his paperwork off his desk and tried to start on that, yet he kept glancing at the classroom door just as often as Seth.

Other students arrived, either going to start their morning coloring sheets or going to play with Seth. Shawn reminded himself that Camila and Luna were always one of the last to arrive, but his heart still hammered crazy at the thought of seeing her.

Was it too soon to ask her out again? If only his own sister didn't live a thousand miles away, then they'd have another guaranteed babysitter.

If Mrs. Bailey noticed his weird behavior, she didn't say anything. Shawn tried to do his work, but he nearly dropped his stack of papers when he saw Camila finally come in.

She was in her work uniform, the plain black dress and tights and her bright red apron. He always thought she looked so cute, especially because she always tied her hair back, some pieces already coming loose and framing her face.

Luna ran to put her bookbag in her cubby before going to play with Seth. Shawn actually felt his heart rate increase when Camila glanced at him and their eyes locked.

"Hi."

"Hey."

It was the same usual small-talk they had almost every morning, but suddenly it was so much more thrilling.

"How was your weekend?"

"Pretty good." She smiled. "Got a lot of cleaning done. What about you?"

"Eh, my place is still pretty messy." He shrugged. "Weird—I swear I was gonna do chores, but for some reason I just couldn't concentrate."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, I just kept thinking about other stuff."

He could tell by her smirk that she knew exactly what had been on his mind and he only hoped it'd been on hers too.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Mrs. Bailey getting to the end of writing the morning memos on the board, which meant Camila had to go now before she gave the two of them that look.

He hated that look. It was so knowing.

"Well, I should get to work." Camila turned towards where Seth and Luna were playing with some other kids. "Bye, Luna!"

"Bye, Mommy." Luna barely glanced up from playing.

She gave Shawn one last shy smile before leaving. Shawn tried to focus on his work, getting the kids' math sheets ready as Mr.s Bailey called for circle time.