Chapter 8: Night Parade of 100 Demons, Part 1

Art taken from the JJK anime
————————————————————

AROUND 5 HOURS BEFORE THE NIGHT PARADE OF 100 DEMONS
————————————————————

"Please move right this way, ma'am. This area is being evacuated."

"An earthquake has struck the Fushimi ward, so please hurry." You waved.

The Kyoto school had to lie about a giant earthquake striking Fushimi to prevent mass hysteria. You and Mai were stationed around the crowded districts.

And with the help of Chojuro Zenin, you were able to stage and make it seem like a legitimate earthquake had occurred.

"Yoshimori, are there really going to be 1000 curses here tonight?" Mai looked around.

"It's hard to believe, but we really can't underestimate someone like Geto."

Mai held her gun tightly, sweat trickling down her cheek. "Got it."

You took a deep breath, "you've never been particularly open about yourself, Mai."

"So? What makes you think I have to tell you anything?"

"We've been classmates for over a year now. Can you at least tell me how you're feeling once in a while?"

"You're not my therapist."

You really wanted to respect her privacy, but you can't; not when your lives are about to be put on the line.

"I know you don't have a lot of cursed energy."

"Huh?"

"My body automatically absorbs residue from other people's cursed energy. And for a sorcerer, yours is surprisingly little."

"How do you know I'm not just good at covering my residuals?"

You flinched, "huh, you have a point. But we're first years."

"And that means we're gonna be here for another 3. So I'd like to get along with you sooner or later." You rubbed your eyes, "Speaking of which, I still have to write to my parents this month."

"You have a family? What're they like?"

"They're great. Though I don't have a sibling like you do."

"You should be thankful," Mai muttered.

"Hm?"

"It's nothing."

"Truth be told, I miss my mom and dad. And my friends."

"Why'd you... leave it all behind? Wouldn't it be better to just move on after what happened to your friend? It was an accident, and you'd still have everyone else you lo-"

"I couldn't live with myself if I chalked up her death to an accident. It's selfish, I know. But lying to myself about what really happened... It's not right."

Mai cringed, "gross. You're starting to sound like my sister."

"Huh?! I thought you wanted to know! Was all of that for nothing?!"

You were frustrated, but you caught a glimpse of her smiling. She took a deep breath and held her gun more comfortably.

"Thanks, though. Now I have someone new to take out my anger on-I mean..." She playfully winked at you.

Mai's scary.

————————————————————

As the clock struck 8pm, you braced yourself for the battle. Black goo drooped over the sky, engulfing the entirety of the Fushimi ward. End to end, in every nook and cranny spawned curses of different kinds.