Chapter 23

Both Levi and Kaya walked inside the tunnels that the Reiss titan had destroyed, picking up small fragments of Crystal every so often. Once in a while, they came across bodies of their enemies and a red puddle that stained the ground.

"Captain Levi." A scout came running.

"What? You look like you're gonna shit yourself."

"We found Kenny Ackerman, he's still alive." The scout claimed.

Instantly, the scouts began to fear the thought of Kenny Ackerman surviving the titan transformation, he was strong and could be a major threat to the scouts. When Kaya turned her head, she swore she saw a bit of relief hidden in Levi's expression.

"What's his condition?" Kaya asked.

"We haven't made an approach yet, but from a distance it's clear that he's injured." The cadet answered.

Levi didn't seem to be taking charge of the issue, so Kaya took the lead. "Well, lead the way." The ghoul gestured. "Load your gun, but only shoot if it comes to it, aim to disable, nothing fatal." She ordered.

"Yes miss." The soldier saluted before guiding them towards Kenny.

Once the cadet was a short distance in front, the two scouts conversed. "You and Kenny were close, huh?" She started off. Levi nodded. "You do know that it's ok to express your feelings. For example, I'm feeling a little irritated by the fact you're trying to deal with this alone, I know from experience it's not healthy." Kaya confronted.

"We weren't exactly close, he taught me how to survive in the underground when my mother died." Levi briefly responded.

Kaya could tell that there was more to it than he was letting on, but decided to to press any further. "Guess it got you to being the man you are today, we can thank him for that at least." She tried to optimise.

"Wouldn't give him all the credit." The captain tried to mask his sadness.

Within no time, they'd arrived and stood in front of a small forest, sat against a tree was none other than Kenny the ripper himself. He looked somewhat at peace with his situation, sleeping without a care in the world.

"Kenny." Levi tried to wake the man.

"Oh shit, not you again." The man choked out.

"Found what's left of your squad, looks like the cave in killed them, you're the only survivor." Kaya was taken back at how quickly Levi's act had switched, it was almost as if he shut his emotions off completely once in front of a crowd.

"Sure looks that way."

"Report back, I'm fine alone." The other soldier began to leave and Kaya was about to follow until she felt someone grab her cloak. "Not you."

"You look shit." The ghoul observed what used to be one of the most successful killers, reduced to nothing but a shrivelled old man clinging on for life.

"Between the burn wounds and the blood you've lost, there's nothing that can save you now." The captain assumed.

"Oh yeah? I wonder." Kenny took out a box form his pocket and placed it on the ground. Inside was an injection, no doubt that it had something to do with the titans. "Swiped this sucker from Rod's bag right back at the cave. Seems if I just stick myself, I'll turn into a big strong titan. One of the dumb ones unfortunately. But for a while, it'll ought to keep me alive."

"You had the time and strength to inject yourself before we got here if you wanted, why didn't you?" Levi wondered.

"Fair point, I guess I'm just scared. If I don't inject it right then I might turn out the same as Rod, all messed up like." Kenny agreed.