Agent X

Author's Name:

ScribbleYourThoughts

Reviewer:

sky_is_limit

Review Type:

Cover/Blurb, Hook, Plot, Character

Cover/Blurb Review:

I think this new cover is much better than the previous. If I remember correctly, the previous cover was purple and I think it was the sky or galaxy. Though the font was clear and the title was very easy to read and noticeable, I just felt the purple plainness just didn't fit. It didn't feel like it really said what the story was about or related.

This new cover though really ties in well. The drawn silhouette of who I'm assuming is meant to be Agent X is well done. Then inside we can see more silhouettes of each person introduced such as Hacker and Sheaf. The title is still large and noticeable which is good. It's a very nice balance and I also like the author name detail in the hat. Though the author's name is a little small so it is a little hard to read.

If I had to rate the cover, I'd say solid 7/10. Please keep this new one! And if you're the one who drew it, you have a great talent.

Now for the blurb. The blurb doesn't really tell us anything on what the story is about. At most, the blurb is six sentences. I saw at most before the first three lines are more like eye catchers than real sentences. I definitely recommend expanding the blurb because I feel like if I were a reader passing along, I'd have skipped because there's not a good blurb there to draw me in.

What is Agent X about? What are the stakes the three agents are presented with?

Blurbs are meant to introduce the character(s), tell us the conflict, and then end with what the possible resolution is. The blurb presented doesn't really do that. Once those points are expanded upon, your first eye catchers will be really well rounded. So, for a rating, I'd give the blurb a 2/10. Consider what I said and maybe take a look at other blurbs around Wattpad and from novels you've read in real life.

Hook Review:

Am I hooked? Yes and no. I felt the start was a little slow for me personally. Though that may be due to the fact that I read minly romance, new adult, etc. So, when I do get an action/adventure story, I hope for a little more punch. But at the same time, you do need to build a story to have any kind of plot. I think my main point is that the first two chapters feel a bit like filler.

But I enjoyed the prospect that Agent X is going on a particularly dangerous mission this time. Dangerous enough that his boss is so worried that he'd hug him. I think you've effectively opened up your story to something exciting, and this is me just basing this off of the first two chapters. If I had to rate your hook, I would give it a 5/10.

Plot Development Review:

As I mentioned for the hook, I do think the pacing is a little off. Things are very slow at the moment. I feel it's a lot more character based than plot based right now. I feel like what would help would be cutting out any unnecessary dialogue that feels a little off to me. But more on that specifically in character development.

Once the mission does start, I think you do well in setting up their stakeout. That feels very natural to me and similar to what we may see in police type movies and shows. Though one thing I want to point out is when the little tech bee hit the door of the storage room. When Agent X goes to retrieve it, I kind of felt like both him and Hacker were amateurs right there. X is described as an agent who's really good and always does the hard missions, but that moment felt out of character to me. Then when he goes and places his mini cameras around the cafe, I found myself asking why he wouldn't have just done that in the first place? To me I feel like they would have staked out the cafe first, placed mini cameras, then done their thing.

Past that, I think a little more description would really help evolve the plot. So, he placed mini cameras but there's nowhere that it states he does that. Furthermore, every single enemy is described as suspicious or mysterious with no backing for how or why? Dark clothes? Continuously glancing around? Sunglasses inside? Give us something to help picture who X and Hacker are dealing with.

So, I did stop at chapter five. I will say that the cliffhanger at the end did make me want to continue reading. I think the build up to that was really well done. Overall, I do eventually want to see how Agent X turns out as a novel as a whole. X is put on this mission which is meant to get really dangerous, I just can't wait to see what stakes he has to go through.

I think I'd rate the plot a 6/10. This is just from the five chapters I've read.

Character Development Review:

At certain times you do have some really good character development in your novel. I'll start with Agent X. Since he's mainy the main character, I think placing little details about him is good. For example, when he lies in bed for a moment contemplating if he should go to work or not. Many times I've done the same and eventually lost the responsibility. That was really relatable. Plus, through dialogue, we get a strong sense of his personality. He's described as someone who always volunteers for the tough missions and such which lets us know he's a risk taker and quite ambitious. I think sprinkling those little facts in is the way to go.

There were a pretty good chunk of characters introduced in chapter one. From a reader's perspective, some of those names will be forgotten if they aren't really important. As I'm writing this, I only remember X, Hacker, and Sheaf. So, be careful with third person point of view. I feel like sometimes you mix limited and omniscient. We don't really need to know the thoughts of unimportant characters like the person who has never seen X be late.

There were just a few more things I think need some tightening. When X finds out his next ultimate dangerous mission, he goes and speaks to his boss, Sheaf. There, Sheaf gives X a hug and tells him not to die basically. That's all fine, but I was assuming X would be sent somewhere crazy and not return for ages. Instead, in the very next chapter, Sheaf comes and speaks to X and Haacker. That made the hug feel so unnatural and just out of place. By the reactions, it was also out of character. My suggestion is to maybe take that part out completely and save it for when X has to meet the enemies head out.

Last thing is the whole area of Hacker's story. With it, there's this huge wall of text that comes so early in the story. I personally also felt that was unnatural. Rather than the two getting to know each other slowly throughout the mission, Hacker lays everything out now. And if I'm remembering correctly, she's not even that comfortable sharing everything then. To me, I think they really could have slowly learned about each other. I'll be honest and say that I mainly skimmed her whole story bit.

All in all, the character development isn't bad at all. I just think there needs to be a balance between what's being shared, when, and how much. As a rating, I'd give it a 6/10.

Anyways, I hope my comments aren't too harsh. This is just my perspective when reading and the thoughts I had while doing so. If you need any clarity on anything, please feel free to reach out, I'm more than willing to explain more of my thoughts. Also, perhaps when the story is finished, you can apply for another review!

 Also, perhaps when the story is finished, you can apply for another review!