Chapter 29

Penelope widened her eyes at Liam in silent acknowledgment that she had heard the voices, too

"Where...?" she mouthed at him.

Liam looked around then raised his finger to his lips before hooking his arm through hers and pulling her along with him as he crept closer to the building. As they reached the side, he released her, sliding his hand down to her wrist and keeping her at arm's length as he leaned forward. Cupping his hand around his ear, he held it up to one of the boarded-up windows and listened. Then, after a moment, he nodded vigorously and pointed at the blocked window.

Despite the lack of words, Penelope understood exactly what he was trying to say.

The voices were coming from inside.

Liam returned to Penelope's side, his gaze frantically darting around like he was looking for something.

Penelope guessed he might be looking for a way in. She pointed at the door at the front of the building, but Liam shook his head. He stepped back from the building and scanned its structure, before perking up. He had spotted what he needed—an old firewood shelter at the side of the building, hidden beneath the trash and scrap.

Penelope didn't understand, frowning at Liam as he jumped around in excitement. He tried miming something at her but it didn't help, so Liam leaned in close again.

"I'm going to climb up to the roof and look inside," he whispered, his eyes bright as he pointed to the little slit windows set into the roof.

"No!" Penelope hissed back. "It's dangerous!" And it wasn't just the rickety structure of the building—she had no idea what kind of people came out to the middle of nowhere to whisper in old shacks. No one who could be up to anything good, no one she wanted to risk getting caught by. "We should leave right now."

"Not yet," Liam insisted.

Penelope didn't have a chance to object as Liam was already pulling her along the side of the building. He held tight to her wrist as they stepped around the minefield of trash, moving slow and careful to avoid tripping over it and making a bunch of noise.