1; Water, finally

A scrawny wolf and lithe panther trekked through the jungle. Each day they lived, was another day spent travelling. Where? Neither of them knew. Perhaps a something was what their self conscious' longed for. Or a somewhere. A destination, of sorts.

Dragging her paws behind her, Hatari gave a sigh and the pup spoke up again.
"Hatari, I'm tired and thirsty," he called up, his voice meek and shallow. He was a small wolf pup, whom she had so happened to have found after his mother was, unfortunately, killed. She had found him when he was much younger, perhaps just over a month old or so. His fur was a browning grey, tufty and scruffy.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry, Kuta. we're nearly there." She continued forward towards the only water source for a while, Kuta trailing at her side.

Above, a loud, flying bird with a large beak hollered out to anyone surrounding, "Water truce! Water truce!"

That worked out fortunately for Hatari's sake, along with Kuta's; she is hardly in a shape or form to defend them both against competitors. Despite being moderately muscled, lack of food had made her skinny, a few ribs along her side visible.

eventually, they arrived at the water. Numerous species of animals gathered around the lake, offspring prancing around happily. Kuta grinned up at her, his tassel picking up a brisk sway.

"We're here! We're here!" The pup exclaimed excitedly, bouncing between Hatari's legs. He bounded ahead, waiting a few paces back from the bank for her to catch up. As she caught up to his, she cast him a smile. The herbivores shuffled timidly a few steps away, skeptical by the large black cat, despite the truce. Hatari paid no mind, she didn't blame them. they would be daft to not be somewhat fearful of a predator.

Crouching and lowering her maw to the water, she swiftly drank her fill, Kuta doing the same besides her.

As they turned to wander back into the shade, further from the gathered animals, everyone feel silent, turning gazes up to a large tiger. Shere Khan. Animals backed away hurriedly, while he merely paused to drink.

"Everyone comes to Peace Rock. So many smells to catch up on." he wandered round the bank, more animals scurrying out his path. He continued, "but I can't help but notice there's this strange odour today. What is it, this scent that I'm on? I almost think it was some kind of," he trailed off, stopping before a wolf standing defensively on a rock. The same rock a man-cub hid fearfully behind. "Man cub."

The wolves stepped forward, surrounding the rock as the tiger advanced towards them. Snarls were audible, the canids' flashing their pointed canines towards the heavyset, amber pelted feline.

Hatari motioned Kuta to follow her, the pair swiftly slinking away from the animals. Partly, she was curious as to how the situation would unfold- hell, a wolf pack defending a mancub from a tiger wasn't an everyday occurrence- but valued her own and Kuta's safety as a priority.

"Who was that tiger? Is he going to kill the Man cub?" Kuta questioned, trotting to catch up besides her.

"That was Shere Khan. And yes, that seemed like his plan. He's had it out for man ever since they injured him, left him without an eye." They continued away from the camp, Hatari searching for somewhere to rest up. That was the first time she'd seen Shere Khan in the flesh. every animal in the jungle knows of the tiger, words of his acts of terror unheard by no animal, be them slick-skinned or thick pelted.

Despite being distracted by the unfolding scene with Shere Kahn, Bagheera didn't miss the figure of a panther slipping through the crowd.

A/n so ig that's the first chapter done! it's short- and terribly written omg- but after a couple more chapters the writing gets significantly better i swear guys 😭 i started this as a joke for a bit of fun 👍