Chapter 40

"I'm sorry. We tried our best," the doctor said in a low mumble. Yoongi's breathing hitched and RaIm broke down crying.

Ari was dumbfounded, "What are you talking about?"

"I'm sorry Ari shi, her body was not able to take it," he said.

"Hey come on. Don't joke around. My Areum is stronger than hell. You get that? This surgery?" She scoffed, "she can go through anything. Maybe you got something wrong. Just get back again. I assure you, she'll make it."

"I'm sorry for your loss Miss Ari, but we can do no more."

She sighed, "I'll take her to another hospital. You guys don't know!" She walked past them into the O.T.

Areum was lying lifeless on the bedsheets, the aura was very depressing but her entire self refrained to believe whatever her eyes showed her.

She walked upto her and caressed her face, "Areum ah," she called softly with love. "Wake up, look Unnie is here. Your favourite Jimin oppa released an album. Wake up, prove them that you're strong."

She shook her a little, "Areum! That's getting enough! Wake up! You have school! You have a life!" She chided but still no response.

She turned back and glanced at Yoongi who had teary eyes and she gave him an utterly confounded gaze.

"Why the fuck are you crying?" She questioned, "She'll wake up. Right now. I am telling you."

Yoongi's hand covered his eyes that were the only feature of his face that wasn't covered. His body moving convulsively leading him into a silent sob.

RaIm couldn't hold back her whimper and that made Ari furious. She walked upto her, holding her shoulders, "WHY ARE YOU FUCKING CRYING??? SHE IS NOT DEAD DAMMIT!"

RaIm couldn't control anymore and she cried out loud in Ari's arms.

"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

She sprinted back to Areum, shaking her, "Wake up idiot. You're making them cry. Areum. You wanted to be a scientist, yeah? You wanted to hear the comeback, yeah? Wake up... Why don't you wake up?" Her vision was blurred by her tears but she wiped them off with her forearm.

"Wake up baby. I'll give you anything. Please... Please open your eyes..." Tears streaming down her face but she didn't care anymore as she was shaking her unconscious body.

"Please Areum ah, don't scare Unnie," she sniffled, "Please. Look I'll sing for you."

She gulped, "Oh m-my sleeping ch-child... This world so wild. B-But you build your own..." She fell on her knees, her mouth wide open, letting out sobs that wrenched each heart that heard her.

"But you build your own... Pa-paradise, please Areum." Her face was all wet and blood pumped. "Areum ah, I need you. I need you here, you can't leave me all alone." Her lips quivering and her voice was trembling.

"Areum," she gasped, "Areum..." Yet again.

Yoongi went ahead and kneeled in front of her.

"She's not with us now Ari, she cannot hear you," he added softly.

"YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW SHIT. I KNOW MY AREUM. Look, I'll show you," she sniffled and got back up.

"Listen, I'll treat you with blueberry ice cream, your favourite if you wake up in three seconds. Three... Two..." Before she could complete, Yoongi embraced her.

"Leave me. Look, just look, I know her so well. This little pest. She just wants food," she giggled a little and pushed away Yoongi.

"I'll count again for I am a good sister. Three... Two... One..." She sniffled, "Areum, this is way too much now."

RaIm wailed on witnessing that, sliding down the wall, her hand muffling her cries.

"Smile for me little one. That's more than enough, come on, I am getting angry now. WAKE UP I SAID. DON'T YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND?"

She looked towards Yoongi, her face all red and eyes bloodshot. Her lips trembling, "W-Why doesn't she listen to me?"

"Sh- She cannot."

"Why? Is she deep asleep? How can we wake her up? There got to be a way. There has to be-"

He embraced her yet again, not being able to bear her devastated form.

"Hyung, there got to be a way. Shall we take her to another hospital? You must be knowing the best hospital here. I'll do anything... I'll kill myself, just... Just save her Hyung please."

"I cannot. I'm sorry, I cannot," he mumbled, pressing his masked lips onto her hair.

"Why?" She questioned, her voice quavering. "I want her," she cried, "I want her Hyung." Her arms wrapped around his torso, gripping his shirt from the back.

"Areum," she wailed, bursting into an avalanche of tears, soaking into his shirt. He could not help but cry with her. Her knees buckled and she lost her balance, falling on her knees. Yoongi supported her, still hugging her.

"Hyung... I... I... Will do anything," she parted and shook her head in absolute dismay. He cupped her cheeks, "you cannot do anything Ari."

She shook her head still, "I'll fucking do anything." She gasped, "Anything... Just... Get her..." She was gasping on each word she spoke.

"Anything... I... I..." She started hyperventilating, taking laboured breaths and and gasping words no one could make out.

"Breathe Ari. Breathe," Yoongi urged but she was deaf to his words, continuing speaking something till she couldn't breathe anymore.

RaIm stood up, her eyes widened at her worsening condition.

"Call for the doctor. Now," Yoongi commanded.

"Y-Yeah," she responded and ran out.

"Breathe Ari."

"I... I... Would do.... Save... Her... I... Areum..." She mumbled, her eyeballs rolling up. She continued this till she could no more, lunging forward, unconscious in Yoongi's arms.

•••

(A/N: I cried alot. I don't think I have cried this much while writing anything- except that one chapter of Nine Months in which she drunk confessed.)

)