Chapter 15: Dark Dealings

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

Sweat poured off your body in heaps, chest heaving up and down unstable. The blinding light overhead did you no favors. With the back of your wrist, you wiped it sluggishly across the bottom of your lip, where tiny droplets of blood were collecting. You shook your arm vigorously, the blood splattering onto the ground next to you. Shakily returning to a fighting stance, you took a deep breath and readied yourself for the next clash.

Nikolai, codename "Silver Wolf", looked at you expectantly. A smile was stuck to his face, his cheek having a slight cut where blood flowed slowly. He pulled something from his pocket, jamming it harshly into his leg. An audible sigh could be heard from the other side of the ring, and you looked at him questioningly.

"That's all for today," he chuckled, clapping his hands together at your confusion. "I think you finally have the stuff to go out on the field. We will be leaving tomorrow night. Be ready."

You shrugged your shoulders helplessly. "Are we not going to talk about what you just stabbed in your leg? You remind me of those people that laze around on the streets all day..."

He laughs heartily again. "It's an Anti-virus specifically made to combat the power your body holds."

"I thought... didn't Doc say it was supposed to help people?" You questioned, your mind trying to pick away at the unresolved queries of what you were. "How is it supposed to help if it hurts?"

Nikolai's constant cold eyes only stared back. "I'm no doctor, but the people up top know what they are doing. Take solace in that."

Nikolai was a mysterious person, that was clear. So was the establishment he still worked for. You've still yet to visit the entirety of this place, some parts of it beyond the access a keycard Bob gave you. Dismissing Nikolai's cryptic messages and attitude, you said your goodbyes for the day and headed to the elevator. Up the floors, down the halls, unlocking the door, and automatically strode to the bathroom. Stripping off your training garments, you turned on the shower nozzle, feeling the first cool water droplets. A nice change of pace from the back-breaking regime Nikolai had been putting you through the past couple of days.

Trailing your fingers down your arms, your face involuntarily turned into a frown. Somehow the woman doctor had not reacted poorly to you as you do yourself. The scars lined your arms, trailing your shoulders and still defining chest, down to your stomach, before clawing around to your back. Such a disgusting trait has stuck with you for what seems like your whole life. At least what you can remember.

Something pulsed oddly in your forearm. Gazing in dismay, it trailed up to your wrist, coming out of your arm to reveal the already acquainted tentacle. Seeing it protrude from such an unusual spot would probably make any regular person hurl. You had just dully gotten used to it. It whirled around in the air, before coming to a stop nearly inches from your face. Near the top, it began to bubble and convulse, something reminiscent of a spherical shape slowly making its way to the surface. You wanted to grit your teeth at the unexpected irritation but found yourself unable to. You tried to raise your brows in surprise, only for them to be stuck as well. It was as though your entire body was submerged in thick concrete, all but stagnant if not for the tentacle.

True to your guess, a white bone orb made an audible pop as it surfaced above the flesh. The lump writhed in multiple directions, before rolling south, a dilated iris accompanying the turn.

The iris itself was a deep murky green, so much so that on the verge of black it looked to have been dredged from the bottom of a swamp. Closer to the pupil it swirled into a more lime green, an abyssal black pupil staring straight into your soul.