Chapter 90 - Different Kind of Monster

....

Mai comes in, her moves graceful as always, the baggy clothes she was wearing hiding many projectile weapons. Zuko looked like a kid who saw his crush coming out of the TV.

Her eyes though didn't meet her childhood crush, but instead, Mai sent a glare at me.

Ohh~ seems like she finally noticed something. Well, by now it shouldn't matter.

Also, girl, stop looking at me like that, or it will send your easily-agitated boyfriend the wrong message.

The darkroom, with barely any light, made Mai appear quite sinister, like a ghost out of a horror movie. Her pale skin didn't help either.

"Zuko…" her gaze turned towards her long-awaited.

Okay, maybe I was exaggerating her feelings since she seemed as emotionally inept as always. But she should be feeling happy, right?

"Mai," Zuko muttered, awkwardly. "I… I…"

Oh! Is he gonna confess! This is unexpected, how will Mai respond? God, I love the drama in the atmosphere as Zuko and Mai gazed into each other's eyes.

A thousand words were said between them before they even spoke.

"...Mai, long time no see," the Fire Prince ended his greeting lamely.

I for sure thought he would confess. You know, when the emotions could have gotten the best of him after not seeing each other for so long.

Mai took notice of my gaze and stared at me, frowning. "Can you stop that?"

That was when I noticed the huge smile on my face that clearly showed how amused I was by the situation. "Sorry about that. Please continue getting lost in each other's eyes."

Somehow me saying the obvious seemed to ruin the mood as Mai sighed and sat down at the bar table. Her scorching gaze seemed to want to bear a hole in my head. But I tried not to show any discomfort and kept my friendly smile.

Maybe I should create some more drama and hint at Mai being in another relationship?

I would have the front row seat to that chaotic fun. After all, even if she denied it, there would always be that sense of doubt on the back of Zuko's mind.

*Clang*

Suddenly the sound of a cup hitting the hardwood bar table rang out. It came from Iroh, and the old man grabbed my attention. "You have quite the twisted sense of amusement."

Oh, it seems like he saw through my intentions. "Hey, c'mon now, I wasn't going to do anything, old man."

Iroh narrowed his eyes and so did Mai, but there was no proof of misconduct here.

Zuko on the other hand was like a headless chicken, acting like he understood what was going on.

Sometimes being the stupidest guy in the room can be quite a blessing. I was at that place too, everyone during their life was the stupidest person in the room at least once. The key was recognizing that and moving on.

Also, it isn't like Mai and Zuko's relationship will last. Like most relationships at this age. People will change and move on. I mean drama only strengthens the relationship, right?

"Azula calls that expression 'trying to convince himself that he is going to do the right thing'. Hopefully, you aren't thinking of doing something morally questionable." Mai had her eyes sharpen and she ended up peering at me intently.

Azula could read me better than most so she sometimes knew when I was bullshitting something or someone. "No, of course not. You're my friend and I would never do something hurtful to you just for some entertainment. That would be a sickening look on life."