0.2

»»»

It was a chill monday morning when Taehyung carried Ari through the doors of the day nursery. Already spotting other parents leaving their toddlers and babies there before going to work.
"Good morning," a woman he hadn't met before greeted him at the entrance of Ari's group. The caterpillars. She looked way too cheery for a monday morning in his opinion.
"Good morning," he politely greeted back, "It's our first day today."
She nodded and pulled out a list. "Her name?"
"Ari Kim."
She took a moment to go through several pages, eventually nodding to herself. "Very nice. I'll take care of her from here. Don't worry," she smiled and Taehyung carefully gave her the baby. Handing her the little ladybug backpack with her binky and favourite plushie inside.
Ari was a bit twisting and whimpering, but soon calmed down as the woman carried her inside. Something inside him aching when seeing the little girl disappearing behind the closing door. He shook his head though. No, this was his only option. His parents lived at the other end of the city, his friends were busy, constant babysitters would be too expensive and he had to return to work.

With a sigh and a heavy heart he turned around. Almost bumping into a mother who struggled to open the entrance door with her stroller.
"Wait, I'll help you," he mumbled half absent-minded and held it wide open for her. Allowing her to enter. "Oh, thank you." Her voice sounded tired as she looked up. Taehyung recognising her instantly. His lips tucking into a smile. "It's you! The one who gave us the bracelet."
Her eyes became round and she smiled sweetly. Recognising him as well. "You're Ari's dad, right?"
He hasitated first but eventually nodded. Surprised that she remembered her name. "I just brought her here and head to work now."
"Well, same," the woman said and peeked down at the stroller. He followed her gaze, spotting a sleeping baby inside. It had short, curly hair and was wrapped in a baby pink blanket. "Oh, is that your daughter?"
The woman nodded proudly. "Her name's Isavella."
"She's cute."
"Thank you," she grinned for a moment before pointing behind her. "You should probably keep going. Right?" His eyes widened at her words and he glanced at the watch around his wrist. "Right, right.. It was nice to meet you again!" And with that he rushed out of the door.
"Bye! And I'm glad they accepted Ari here!" she yelled. Hearing him shout a "thank you!" from further away.
She blushed. Her smile fainting then. "Ah, I forgot his name," she quietkly groaned to herself, hearing a noise from the stroller. Her eyes widening. "Sorry, Izzy. Did I wake you up?" She quickly pushed the stroller down the corridor. "Hopefully I can ask him next time."

»»»

Severak weeks passed. Taehyung having got more and more accustomed to leaving Ari at the nursery every morning. And when seeing other kids crying and yelling whenever their parents brought them there, he was genuinely glad she didn't belong to them.
Even if he wouldn't have minded her being just a little bit upset he left her there. Instead it seemed like his absence wouldn't bother her at all. Then again, she was just an 8-month-old baby, so he should probably not take it too personal.

That morning wasn't much different than any other one. He slid her pecifier that she had spit out and was now dangling on it's chain, back between her lips as he heard the door behind him opening. Seeing a mother with a child  in her arm entering. Not recognising her first as she was wearing a beret and a mask, coughing, but then he caught a glimpse of her eyes. Their brown irises meeting.
"'morning," she greeted quietly, giving him a nod.
"Morning," he said, cocking his head lightly at her. "You good? You look a bit -"
"Sick?" she giggled before starting coughing all over again. It was his one and only aquaintance, if you could call her one. Isavella's mum, Cassandra.
"A little," he chuckled and went back to taking Ari out of her baby shell.

Every now and then they would meet either in the mornings or evenings, both bringing and picking up the two girls at similar times. At the beginning he had assumed she was a nursery teacher. Especially since she had been there on application day. However, after bringing her own daughter, she always left. Probably heading to her actual work.
They always greeted each other, occasionally did some small talk but that was all. Sometimes he felt as if she wanted to ask him something. But she never actually did. It was as if he could see her lips parting from the corner of his eye, however, whenever he facing her, she usually quickly looked away and went back to whatever she had been doing. Leaving him wondering what it could be that she tried to tell him.

"Good morning you two!" the nursery teacher greeted them. Eyeing Cassandra up and down then when spotting the mask covering her face. "You don't look too well." It was the older teacher who had also been there on application day. The two women must be close, he had noticed during the time he had been bringing Ari there. They always talked so casually and familiarly with each other.
He saw Cassandra nodding then, taking out her daughter from the stroller. "I know," she quietly responded. Probably too afraid of starting coughing all over again. "I'm not feeling great either. Just hope I won't infect Izzy."
"Don't tell me you are going to work nevertheless.."
"Have to," she shrugged. Her voice thin as her words were followed by some coughs behind the thick fabric. Making the teacher sigh. "Your mum won't be pleased to hear that. Should I call her? She could take care of Izzy. And you."
"No, no it's alright. I'll call her if it worsens," she said and made her way out. Waving goodbye to Taehyung.
"Get well soon," he said, giving her an empathetic smile. He could tell by Cassandra's eyes shaping two crescents that she smiled behind her mask before exiting.His focus going back to Ari in front of him then. He placed a kiss on her forehead before handing her over to the waiting teacher.

A yawn escaping his lips when stepping into the coldness of that morning. Fishing out his car keys from his pants' back pocket. And he mentally prepared himself for another day full of classe as cold driblets started hitting his skin all of the sudden. Rain drops.
"Great," he muttered under his breath and quickened his pace towards the parking lot. Quickly getting inside just in time as it started pouring. He seriously hoped it was only a downpour. Not in the mood for another rainy day.
The wipers started going left and right while clearing the water stream. Creating a calming rhythm as he drove off and turned into the main street.
Spring had only just began, so no surprise the weather was still moody. Chill winds and rain often painting days gray.
His gaze fell on some people at the bus stop on the other side of the street. One of them not having an umbrella. How unlucky, he thought until recognising the person. It was his acquaintance Cassandra.
Her hands were buried in the pockets of her long coat. Only her black beret shielding her head from the raindrops. Which wasn't much. Her long curls underneath it looked drenched as he passed by. He felt bad for her. Standing there in the rain in her condition. His eyes wandering to the clock on the sideboard then. 7:35. Another 25 minutes till his first class. He bit bottom lip. And without thinking too much, he did a u-turn and drove back. Stopping in front of the bus stop and lowering the window of the passenger side.
"Hey, Izzy's mum," he yelled, making her perk up. Her brows raising when spotting his grinning face. "Come, I'll give you a ride."

She seemed to hesitate first. Looking away, contemplating for a moment before eventually nodding and getting quickly inside. The warmth from the car's heater contrasting with the coldness outside. Water dripping from every inch of her body.
"Oh damn, I'm wetting your car," she mumbled, giving him an apologetic look. Her voice weak as she indeed wasn't as energetic as usual. "I-it's alright don't worry," Taehyung assured her then, shaking his head. "Where can I drive you to?"
She grew silent. Seemingly uncertain of what to answer. "Home," she sighed then, "I don't think I can make it to work after all."
He nodded and drove off. "Sounds like a good idea. You really look like needing rest."
"I look that horrible, huh?" she quietly laughed out, making him chuckle under his breath as well. Only now realising how his words must have sounded. "N-no, no. I didn't mean - I meant, I just meant you seem like needing a good rest. That's all," he quickly said then. Feeling his cheeks flushing. "A-anyway, and where exactly is 'home'?"
"Charlotte Street. You know where that is?"
He nodded. It wasn't far.

The ride was short and silent as he didn't know what to say and she was trying her best not to doze off. "What number?" he spoke up after a few minutes. It was only then when she realised they had reached her street. "It's that building. The yellow one," she pointing at one on the left side. And so he stopped right in front of the yellow building's entrance. Thinking it would be best if she didn't have to walk far with the still lasting rainfall. It didn't look like being a simple downpour after all.
"Thanks for the ride." She smiled underneath the mask. "Might have passed out on the way otherwise."
He nodded, his lips tucking into a worried smile. "It's alright. Take care." And he watched her closing the door behind her, disappearing into the apartment building.

7:45. He could still be right on time for his first class if he hurried.

»»»