024

It had dawned you multiple times how much of a mystery Jungkook was.

The things you do know about him however, is that he's intelligent, athletically driven, loaded, and the most recent revelation. He has a sister.

You've known him for a fair period of time. Yet you have no idea who his parents are. Or why they're almost never around. They're not dead.

That's for certain.

The visit to the woods made you realize that there's more to Jungkook than what meets the eye.

He has secrets he'd rather keep to himself.

And you won't blame him for that. Since you have secrets you'd rather keep to yourself too.

He hands you the brown envelope. "There's someone I'm looking for and I need you to tell me if you recognize the woman in that picture."

Just because you're doing what he's telling you to do doesn't mean you've forgotten about what he just said.

Signs of age stains the rectangular photo between your fingers. A woman smiling at a man sitting across from her.

Looking away, you slip the picture back in and toss the envelope at the back. It lands with a soft plop. "I don't know her."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Jungkook loosens his tense fingers around the wheel and shifts to the next gear. If you look closely, a wave of relief surges his face.  "You can forget about whatever happened today."

"You mean the fact that you dragged me away from the city and into some cabin in the middle of the forest? Yeah sure. I can definitely do that." You blow your nails and stare at it ridiculously. "I mean, every human's born with a mental trash anyway. I'll just dump this memory there and call it a day."

Not an ounce of authenticity laces your tone.

Glancing at you, he makes a sharp turn before saying."You're mad."

"No kidding."

"Why?"

"You tell me."

"Is this because I said you were mine?"

The fact that he's saying that so casually. You'll ignore the unsettling chill slithering down your spine like a snake.

"Let's get one thing straight, okay? I am not yours." You made sure you to put emphasis to that word. "So stop saying saying that."

The silence isn't giving you assurance but you'll take it for now. The following hour speeds by silence. He drops you off in your neighborhood and you brace yourself for what's to come.

Hesitantly walking up to the front door, you're about to push it open when your phone rings.

The familiar name flashing your screen sends a wave of temporary peace throughout your body.

For a moment there, as you answer, you forget all about what lies behind the door.

"Aunt Mia.." You start off gently with a smile. "I was wondering when you were gonna call."

"Believe me sweetie, I've been dying to call you for ages. I've had a lot of work cut for me the past couple of months. With all these sudden deaths and all. So how have you been? Is school going okay? Have you thought about my offer?"

You bite the bottom of your lip. "School's fine. I'm fine."

There's a long pause before you hear a bunch of shuffling on the other side. Papers. "But are you really?"

Aunt Mia's a busy woman. If she spends five more minutes with you, she'll be behind with her workload.

You take in a deep breath and find yourself picking a strand from your shirt. "I...I don't know."

"Oh sweetie. You know my offer's still up. Just say the word and I'll come get you."

"I know."

"I'm guessing you still haven't changed your mind?" Her sweet voice fills your ears. "You know, there's this great school that's not far from my place. You'd only have to walk for five minutes. The teachers there are very close friends of mine."

As much as you'd love waking up to a peaceful home, you can't find it in you to leave dad. You're the only family he's got after all.

"I'm not gonna force you, sweetheart. But you know who to call if you ever change your mind."

"Yeah."

"Well, I just called to check up on-"

"Um.."

"Yes?"

"Remember that case you talked about? The one from a year ago?" The night's breeze brushes  across your skin as you hesitantly start out.

"Yes, sweetie. Why?"

"I...I think I got something....? But I'm not sure. It's..uh.. It's kinda complicated at the moment. You see, I have this friend who's like-uh..So then he brings me- more like drags me against my will- outside the city and into some forest. A bunch of men with guns were there- he says he's looking for someone and then shows me a picture of mo-"

"Hold on, Y/n. Do I know who this friend of yours, is?"

You nod your head even though she can't see you. There's actually more to the story. Those sudden disappearance. Deaths. The way each scenario's executed. They clicked with that one case your aunt mentioned. You could be wrong. But it's better to be safe than sorry. "Yeah. Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook."

"Oh." This time you hear a drawer getting open, followed by the rustles of papers. "You're having your summer break at the end of the month right?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Tell you what. I'll stop by so we can have a better talk. I don't think this' something that should be discussed over a call. You're okay with that right, Y/n?"

"Yup."

"Okay sweetie. I'll be there as fast as I can. In the mean time, I need you stay away from that friend of yours, okay? Until this whole situation is cleared, at least." She tells you. "I'll end the call now. Take care and love you."

Author's Pov

Mia ends the call with her niece and stares at the open folder sitting on top of her desk. It was an unsolved case from five years ago. And the first ever case she dropped.

Despite being the best detective out there, it pained her significantly when she couldn't even help her own niece.

The loss of her mother drives her to the brink of death everyday.

But she still holds on. Pretending to be okay when she actually isn't.

The unsolved case had a list of leading suspects.

And one of them had the surname of Jeon.