twenty nine

"Hello, old friend

"Hello, old friend." 

I froze. My mind went blank and my heart thundered in my chest. 

My sons looked at me in alarmed, not expecting such a reaction from me. I was generally not the one to pale easily, but what else could be expected of me when he was the one on the phone.

"Maxim." I rasped, my voice unsteady.

"Francisco," I heard him take in a breath, "We have business to discuss." 

Just then, the line went dead. It was a rule in the Mafias to always call and end it and wait for the call back.

"Dad, what is it?" Roman asked, alerted.

"The Russian Mafia." I shook out of my daze, sitting back to my chair and taking a deep breath to calm my nerves.

"Why are you behaving this way?" Adrian confusedly probed.

"Nothing, it's just that, the Russians generally don't tie with us. We have had a word of promise, to not meddle in each other's business." 

"What do we do, dad?" Luca suddenly spoke up. I could see the gears turning in his head.

"Call back and see what's with the sudden call." Antonio replied for me. Honestly, I was too stunned to even think of anything besides the fact that I had received a call from someone -

Just then, all of the extended family entered in the office. Even the youngest were somehow interested in the business.

Astrea wasn't here and neither was Izan. I guess they were catching up on stuff. But, hell will bend over when I let my daughter alone with a boy. 

"Where's Astrea?" I questioned out loud, standing up to go look for her. Suddenly a small smile crept up on all of their faces. 

"She is with Izan." Armando answered. Seeing my expression, he continued, "Rocco is with them." 

Nodding, I opened the door the meeting room inside my office. 

Everyone took their designated seats, with respect to their position in the mafia

Without any further ado, I coldly spoke up, "Maxim Volkov called, the Russian Mafia."