nine

• Matt •

Matt couldn't figure out exactly what was going on. Both on the show and in real life. He had fallen asleep not long after pressing play, so when he woke up a few episodes in with someone else in the room, it really threw him off. He certainly didn't expect the new person to be Josh, either.

He wasn't exactly fond of how close the two were sitting. He knew he didn't have any say in the matter, and he couldn't tell Josh to move, but he wanted to. Instead he sat back and began to scroll on Instagram, trying to distract himself. It was hard when he kept hearing hushed whispers between Sienna and Josh and their giggling.

Eventually, he rose from his spot on the bed, and began to make his way toward the door. "My mom needs me home. I'll see you tomorrow, Enna. Bye Claire. Josh."

Before anyone could reply, he had left the room and made his way downstairs. He said goodbye to Sienna's dad on his way out, not wanting to offend him by walking right past him. He was almost home free, about to open the door of his car, when Sienna called after him.

"Matt! Are you okay?" She stood on her front porch, leaning over the railing.

"I'm fine, my mom just needs me to come home." He said flatly, an obvious lie.

"We haven't gone on our McDonalds date. I was about to kick Josh and Claire out." She laughed a little, but he knew she was serious about it. Sienna never misses the McDonalds dates.

"We'll go next week. Like I said, my mom needs me home." Before Sienna could respond, Matt was in his car. He did his best not to look at her, knowing that if he did, her face would convince him to stay.

He pulled out of her driveway and began the drive home. Chris was waiting for him when he arrived, sitting with a pizza in the kitchen.

"That bad, huh?" Chris pushed a plate across the counter for his brother, not expecting an answer.

"Fucking Josh showed up." Matt huffed, all but throwing himself onto the counter. "How am I supposed to act when they're all cuddly and shit?"

"Why was Josh there?"

"I have no clue. I woke up and he was just standing there. Eventually, I just left." Chris pushed a can of Dr. Pepper from the fridge across the counter as well as his brother spoke, unsure what to say given the situation. "Then, she was asking if we were still going to McDonalds."

"So, why are we not going to McDonalds?" Chris was trying, and failing, to follow Matt's logic. If Sienna had wanted to go to McDonald's, then why did Matt leave?

Matt left the kitchen, retreating back into his own room instead of answering the question. He didn't turn the lights on, using his phone as a flashlight and he got into bed. Maybe he'd actually get a decent nights sleep tonight.

~~~

Matt left his room a few hours later, mind plagued with Sienna's hurt face when he had told her that they weren't going on their weekly outing and the sight of her and Josh together. He hoped that there was some pizza left over in the fridge that he could eat to try and distract himself. He found two slices and plopped them onto a paper plate.

As he turned around to go back to his room, he heard the front door open and some whispers made their way to the kitchen. Muted enough that he couldn't make sense of what was said, but he knew that the voice was Sienna. He should've gone and seen her. He should've apologized for canceling earlier and offered to take her to McDonald's now.

Instead, he went back to his room and locked the door.

He heard knocking and the sound of the doorknob jiggling a few minutes later as he sat at his desk. The overhead light remained off, but the small lamp sitting beside his plate was on.

"He was just in the kitchen. I swear I heard him." Nick. Of course he was trying to play Cupid.

"If he's asleep I'll go home. I just wanted to check and make sure he's okay. He seemed like something was wrong when he left my house." Sienna. He felt like a jackass, but he really didn't feel like talking to her right now.

"There's a light on. You know he can't sleep if there's a light on." Chris. The only one who would point out something like that.

He turned off the lamp, plunging the room into darkness. Hoping they would get the hint and leave. He didn't turn the light back on until he heard all three sets of footsteps walk away, going back to eating his pizza.

The doorknob jingled again a few minutes later, and before he could even think about turning the light off again, the door swung open, revealing his brothers and Sienna standing in the doorway.

He swallowed the pizza in his mouth quickly before he spoke. "Did you just pick my lock?"

"You're ignoring us." Nick held something metal in his hand, clearly the one who had just opened his door.

"I'm not interested in talking right now."

Chris looked irritated. Nick looked astonished as he tried to gesture to Sienna discreetly. Sienna just looked hurt. God, if he had to keep hurting her feelings he was gonna die.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Sienna spoke softly, not wanting to agitate her best friend anymore than he already was.

"I'm fine. I just want to be left alone." Sienna nodded, taking a few steps backward from the door frame until she was almost entirely hidden behind Chris' shoulder. Chris scoffed and turned away from the room, making his way down the hall somewhere. Sienna followed him.

Nick stayed for a moment, waiting for Sienna and Chris to be out of earshot. "You're never gonna get her if you act like a dick." Then the door clicked shut and Matt was left on his own once again.

{note: double update today cuz i felt like it :P gonna be angsty for a bit but i promise it'll pay off in the end. thanks for reading boos xx}