❀ 03: The Other Half

Chapter 3: The Other Half
Dedicated to sd1229

One thing was for certain: I wasn't trained for anything like this

One thing was for certain: I wasn't trained for anything like this. The department for International Heroics Projects had put a little too much faith in my skills when I arrived in Cuba. The only messages I received were vague and short. Not to mention, they were automatically deleted after I viewed them for security protection. 

My last set of instructions asked me to make contact with the citizen that sent the distress call to Japan. I waited in my room until my host family fell asleep. From there, it was just a matter of slowly sliding the nearby window open before I was able to sneak out onto the fire escape. Once my feet were flat on the metal ledge, I felt the cold air drift through my tangled curls. The atmosphere at night was cool enough for me to let my hair down at shoulder length, and I finished my outfit with black cargo pants and a dark t-shirt. I was sure I'd be fine in any attire, but it was my first hero mission after all. I wanted to do it right.

I started making my way down the ladder that led from our apartment to the ground. My combat boots hooked on the metal rungs as I gripped the bars tightly. Taking it one step at a time, I soon got the hang of climbing down with ease. But as quickly as I grew confident, the lights of the downstairs apartment flicking on sent me leaning as far away from the window. I held my breath as the family inside left their lights on, and I took the next few steps one inch at a time. I eventually got by the next few apartments below, soon planting my feet on the asphalt ground. Although, it wasn't before I accidentally kicked over a trash can against the wall, frightening a stray cat.

I quickly shushed the stray before it blew my cover, and I started jogging through the alleyway towards the street. All I had to do was make as much progress as I could in finding the citizens that contacted Japan. The IHP said that the only name left was Azul. I figured that this man couldn't have been that hard to find, so I put on my detective hat to do some investigating.

Other than a name, Rizo informed me that the citizen was one of the Weapon Quirk. This meant that I would most likely find him in the community where people of the same Quirk lived.

Research told me that Cuba separated its citizens by who carries the Weapon Quirk and who doesn't. Citizens without the Quirk could live as they wanted under the same fascist government, but those with the power had a whole list of restrictions. While all Weapons had to enlist at a certain age, there were many of them that could opt out with medical excuses. These citizens could be found in a neighborhood of tenement houses just outside of Bellauna alongside the Quirkless. I started my search there first.

Back in Japan, I couldn't imagine the streets being as empty as they were in Cuba. I was able to run through freely, but I kept close to the sidewalks to avoid being seen. It wasn't easy to read the street signs in the peak of darkness, but I managed to make out the first few letters of "Bellauna" and start heading towards the nearby neighborhood. As the street grew wider, I saw the walkway rise into an old-school-style overpass. From there, the street seemed to go on for a few miles. The only buildings I could see coming up were tall and colorful apartment complexes, with no sign of government housing anywhere.