ROTFK - Chapter 1

"Haa, haa...haa..."
She was losing her breath. She could feel her life slipping away.

However, she couldn't give up. It couldn't end this way. She was kneeling on the floor, and she leaned on her sword to pushed her body up. Please, just a little more...

Before her very eyes stood the man who killed her father and brother and hung their corpses on the wall as a spectacle for everyone. That wasn't all. Because of him, her sister, who was as lovely and as delicate as a small bird, had been violated and died a miserable death.

She had endured this living hell to survive this moment alone. All so she could stab the enemy in the neck with her own hands!

However...even with that goal in sight, she didn't have any strength to hold on to her sword. Please, please, please! She hoped she could drag him down to hell with her, for she was not afraid of death. As she struggled to lift the sword with all her might, she heard slow footsteps coming towards her, and a chilling voice resounded in the air.

"...A bitch like you did well to come this far."
The sound of footsteps did not stop until they came right up to her. Before she knew it, she saw two sturdy feet standing tall even in her lower field of vision. As she struggled to raise her head, her dim eyes reflected his tall figure.

At first glance, he was a middle-aged man with an intimidatingly muscular body and a shaggy beard, but he still appeared impressively charismatic.

However, the man's left arm had been hacked off. Blood constantly flowed from his wound, but his condition was much better compared to her own. Rather than losing an arm, the price she had to pay was much greater.

The woman was one of the continent's top swordswomen for decades. Nevertheless, she could not overcome the fact that the man was praised as a genius.

Her whole body was nearly in tatters and the floor was drenched with her blood. However, her eyes glared at him in a murderous spirit, as if she did not care about her wounds.

"By my hands...I will...kill you..."

"Not likely. Even if you were reborn, the outcome wouldn't be any different."
She clenched her teeth. The man stole everything he had. She could never forgive him.

"Aaaaah!"
She leapt up and dashed at him with her sword.

Urk!

With a hideous noise, a blade tore across her throat.

The last moment of her life passed very slowly. Beyond her shaky vision she could dimly see her father and brother and her sister Mirabelle.

'...I'm sor...ry.'
It was the year 387 of the Empire of Ruford.

Elena, the highest level female swordswoman, died in the Battle of Huilena, unable to carry out her bloody vengeance.

*

*

*

Flash!

Elena opened her eyes.

Something was very strange.

The soft sheets that surrounded her body and the warm sunshine coming through the windows were a sharp contrast to the moment she just experienced.

'I...I must be dead.'
She closed her eyes bitterly. The anger at not being able to avenge her family burned fresh in her heart, but when she came to her senses she was lying in a completely different place.

At least it was more comfortable than the hell she had lived through. She had never laid down in such a soft bed since her whole family was wiped out, and she had never slept deeply because of the nightmares.