24.

▲ ▲ ▲

"This looks like a good one."

"Yeah..." Malcolm trailed off as he leaned over to check the price.

"Two hundred dollars for a damn tree," Cliff commented while inspecting the tree.

"It's a Balsam Fir."

"It still doesn't make any sense." Cliff glanced at his grandson and said, "This shit will die within weeks."

Malcolm couldn't help but shake his head. His grandfather had money from owning a landscape business. However, he was still frugal. Cliff believed in saving money, not spending it.

"Jersey wants a real tree she can decorate for Christmas."

"Jersey..." Cliff trailed off with a smirk. "I like her."

"I'm glad you do."

"She's beautiful." Cliff continued as he strolled through the pathway.

"I know she's beautiful." Malcolm countered with a nod. "You make it clear every time you see her."

"Well, she is." Cliff nudged his grandson and said, "Respectfully."

Malcolm shot him a look but didn't say anything.

"She's the prettiest in-law in the family so far."

"Yo," Malcolm started while leaning his head to the side. "Why are you checking out my woman like that?"

"I'm not."

"It seems like it."

"I said I was looking respectfully, son." Cliff clarified.

Malcolm stayed quiet, not wanting to say anything else. He knew that Jersey was attractive, and other men found her attractive. That part didn't bother him. However, he was human and still tended to get jealous. Instead of probing further, he decided to push it behind him.

"So, when are you going to marry her?"

Malcolm touched the back of his head and rubbed it gently. A proposal was on the way, but he didn't know about the wedding. He would have that conversation with Jersey later.

"I don't know, but I plan on proposing to her."

"Oh, yeah?" Cliff shot him a smile and said, "I think that's good. You might as well marry her. You two recently had a baby and got a house built. It's time to stop shacking."

Here we go.

[This is how some of the older generations are. They don't believe in unmarried couples living together.]

"I know, and I'm trying to fix that."

"Fix it soon...I don't like shacking." Cliff continued.

Malcolm eyed his grandfather closely and asked, "Did you marry Bernie?"

"We did get married, but it was annulled. I didn't want to put up with her shit. You know that. I told you about it."

"...That's right."

Suddenly, Malcolm's phone started ringing. He reached inside his pocket and pulled out the blackberry. Judging from the caller ID, he realized it was Chief Stanley. Quickly, he grew alerted.

[Blackberry phones are discontinued.]

"Hold on, Pops. I need to take this phone call."

"Go ahead. I'll be looking at these expensive ass trees."

Malcolm tapped the button and placed the phone up to his ear. The chief greeted him, and he responded in a calm tone. Many things ran across Malcolm's mind as he held the phone. He was hoping that Jersey was still safe at home. She was supposed to be taking a nap with Harlem.