Chapter 29 - Held Back

Damian's POV

Today is the day Marinette will tell me her answer. I can't wait. We made plans to go out to the park later this evening. And maybe if we stay long enough, we'll be able to watch the fireworks display. I texted her to make sure that she could make it because she INSISTED that she picked me up and take me to the venue. Like if I could've said no...

It was a few hours until 6 and Marinette still hadn't shown up yet. I was pacing back and forth in my room, Is she okay, Did something come up, Is she not coming!? But then a knock came at my balcony window. I frantically rushed over and pulled the curtains to see Marinette looking at me with a brow raised. I opened the door and she sighed.

Marinette: Were you that eager to see me?

Damian: Eager...more like anxious.

Marinette: What about?

Damian: Oh..y'know..the date...

Marinette: Pfft.. Afraid I'll say no?

Damian: Yeah, exactly that.

Marinette: You worry too much. You're just like Marin.

Damian: Am I though...?

Marinette: A tinsy-winsy bit. Yeah.

Damian: Sigh, I've been infected with his cooties.

Marinette: *giggles* Stop it... Anyways, are you ready to go? I have everything set up.

Damian: Finally.

She chuckled and pulled me out onto the balcony. She called on her powers and we were off. "Voyage!"
~~~~~

We got there in a flash and I saw the mat and picnic all set up for us. I was astonished by the amount of effort put into all of this. There were even little pillows and cushions for us to sit on. "C'mon, I didn't do that much." she spoke and booped my nose. I picked her up and spun her around in my arms. "Even the littlest things you do mean that much to me, habibti."

I pecked her lips and walked over to the mat, placing her down. I sat down next to her and she showed me the food she made. It all looked so delicious. We ate, drank and played a few games. We laid back on the mat looking up at the sky. It was perfect. It was nearing the time of the fireworks and so Marinette sat up.

Damian: Is something wrong?

Marinette: Nah.

Damian: Are you sure?

Marinette: Positive.

Damian: Marinette...

I gently rested my hand on hers and she immediately looked at me. "Marinette, what's wrong? Is it me? If it is, then tell me." I insisted but she just looked down at the mat. "I-I...I don't know.." I raised a brow, "Don't know what?" I questioned. She bit her bottom lip and I knew something was wrong. But before I could say something, she spoke up.

Marinette: I-I haven't really made up my mind.

Damian: Wait..- Is this about the whole competition thing? It's fine Marinette. If you think I should stop then..-

Marinette: No, that's..that's not it. I-I want this, I want to..be with you but...I'm so uncertain of myself right now.

Damian: Marinette, you don't have to make a decision and I don't have to make you fall for me when we both know you already have. *grins*

Marinette: *pouts* I did not...

Damian: *chuckles* My point is, you aren't forced to make a decision but that doesn't mean that I'll stop these feelings I have for you. Angel, You're the most important person to me right now in my life and I'd give anything to see you smile. There's no secret behind the fact that..well... I love you Marinette, I always Have, and I always Will.

I pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear and cupped her cheeks as they turned light pink. My thumb gently caressed it before I slowly moved in to kiss her. As our lips were about to make contact, her phone rang. She stuttered and went to pick it up. Her face and her entire body turned pale. I got up and touched her shoulder.

Damian: What's wrong?

Marinette: I-i'm so sorry-y Damian, but I-I...I have to-o g-go. I-It's urge-ent.

She was trembling. She ran off out of the park and called on her power as a big blue circle swallowed her. She was gone. And by then...I had the fireworks to comfort me...by myself.
~~~~~~~~~~

Jason's POV

I was looking at some funny fails just to pass the time when I got a message from Marin. That d*ck. He didn't have the balls to text me for a week, and now he's suddenly trying to conversate. I sighed heavily and checked it out.

Marin:
Hey Jay, I'm sorry I haven't been talking
to you since you left.

Jason:
It's ok. What's Up?

Marin:
It's Mother.

Jason:
Did she forbid you from coming
over or set you up with another girl?

Marin:
No, She had a heart attack and is currently
in the hospital.
Could you relay this to Damian. Mari's here with
me and I don't think she told him.
I heard that they were supposed to be out on a date.

Jason:
I'm sorry about your mom. I'll tell him what
you said.
Tell Pixie I send my condolences and best
wishes.

Marin:
Will do. Thanks man.

Jason:Anything.

Damn, that doesn't sound too good. I hope they're okay. I checked demon's room but he wasn't there. Ugh... I searched for his number on my phone and called him. He picked up after the 5th ringer. "What do you want, Todd?" He sounds pissed... "Mari's at the hospital with Marin right now. He texted me just now. Sabine had a heart attack and Mari had to rush over."

There was silence for a few seconds then he spoke up. "Thanks." And with that he hung up.