Twenty-One

[|]

It was almost time for my residential building to be locked up for the night and I was still out, finding jobs to get hired at. I had a few months left before the first year would end and I needed enough money to pay for a place to sleep before finding out a way to pay for my fees.

"Sorry, we don't have any vacancies available," the cashier said and with a dejected sigh, I left the restaurant and started walking home.

Out of habit, I took out my phone from my fanny pack only to remember that the phone I held wasn't mine. I stared at the device with a pout and turned it on. After a minute, the phone powered on, and I stared at the locked screen when notifications started rushing in. Texts, emails, and group chat messages filled the screen and I felt guilty when I realized that some important things could be on the phone.

I swiped over the screen and it demanded a password, which I ignored and clicked the emergency section. I saw two very unfamiliar emergency numbers and felt tempted to call one of them.

Going with the first choice, I called the number and it rang for some seconds before it was answered. A masculine voice filled my ears and I felt tongue-tied, not feeling the need to speak.

"Uh, Lucas? I'm a little busy right now? What is it?"

I gulped. "Hi, this isn't Lucas. I am calling to find out where he stays. Uh, Lucas lost his phone and I've been trying to reach him. You're on his emergency contact and I don't know if you know any other way to reach him and tell him that the person with his phone is at the spot he lost it."

"Okay... But who is this? I can't give you an address or call him at random."

I rubbed my face in annoyance. This person wasn't helping and I was tempted to end the call already. Just as I opened my mouth to speak, the sound of a call coming in beeped in my ears. I took the phone away from my ear and saw an unknown number. Without saying anything to the other person at the end of the line, I answered the new call.

"You finally turned on my phone," Lucas said in a hoarse voice. He sounded as if he was just waking up.

"I don't have all night to talk to you. I need my phone," I said.

"It feels like Deja Vu," Lucas said with a low chuckle that did something to my body.

Yes, it did feel like Deja Vu. But one that won't replay like before.

"I need my phone, Lucas," I said and he stayed silent for five seconds.

"Damn, I miss hearing you say my name," he said in a distant tone of voice.

I bit my lip when I felt a strange warmth all over my body but shook my head after.

"Be serious, boy," I angrily said.

"Where are you now?" He asked and I looked around.

"I'm at Gina's Diner," I replied and checked the time on my wristwatch. I had only twenty minutes to do what I had to do before the residential building closed.

"Okay. I'll be there in ten minutes. Wait for me," he replied and the call ended.

I sighed and walked back to the diner. I leaned against a wooden pole close to the small building and stared at every car that passed by, keeping an eye out for Lucas.