Winter Fair!

Oops- I accidentally named this "Steps Toward Healing" that's a title for a future chapter, I've renamed it to its proper title. Sorry about that.

______________

Sunny watched the snow fall outside the window, it was barely 8 o'clock in the morning and they were all piled into a car. Hero and Kel's mother was driving, Hero sat in the passenger seat, Kel and Aubrey sat in the middle row with Sally between them, and finally Sunny and Basil were sitting in the back. They were headed to a fair outside town, apparently Kel's family did this every year. They had invited all of them this time, so they had all gotten up early to go. Sunny had been there for about a week now and Christmas was a stone's throw away. He could feel the energy building up to it, it was extremely exciting, he had to admit. He had each of their gifts wrapped and in his suitcase, waiting to be opened. He couldn't wait to give them to them. The car ride had been mostly quiet, he spent a lot of it watch Kel's interactions with Sally. He would make silly faces at her as she giggled. He was surprised Kel and Aubrey hadn't been arguing, having been seated in the same row, but every time he looked at Aubrey she seemed just as invested in what Kel was doing with Sally as Sunny was. He almost thought it was funny, she had a slightly mesmerized expression, he figured it was her surprise from how different yet the same Kel had managed to be. He often found her staring at Kel with that same expression. 

The car turned into a parking lot and Sunny's eyes widened. He could see tons of fair stands and even a ferris wheel had been set up. A large christmas tree was visible at the center of the chaos,decorated finely. It would be the main event of the night, when they'd turn on it's dangling lights. The group got out of the car quickly once it was parked, Kel's mom got a stroller out of the back and smiled at the teenagers, "You all can go on ahead. Hero has the money for the games. We'll meet back here at around five for the tree lighting."

They set off, mindlessly walking around the fair. Hero handed them each some money so they could play some of the fair games. Several stands had heaters in them, making the winter air less daunting. They all looked around for a game that interested them when Aubrey suddenly grabbed Kel's hoodie, "Lets go try that target game! I wanna destroy you in it!"

She pulled him off with her before he could respond and Hero hurriedly followed them, needing to be the mediator in case they started bickering again. Basil and Sunny stood there now, Basil rocked on his heels slightly, "I've always wanted to come to one of these."

Sunny smiled slightly, "Me too. It's really cool here."

"Wanna go get an elephant ear or something?" Basil shrugged slightly, "Kel was telling me they're good."

"Must be tooth rotting if Kel likes it," Sunny smiled, "Sure."

They walked around together, searching for the food stands. There was a surprising amount of people there, maybe from other towns. It wasn't snowing anymore, and they oddly didn't feel cold at all. They finally found the food stands and ordered an elephant ear. They were huge, it turned out, so they would split one. After getting the treat they found a place to sit down. Sunny ripped off a piece of it and popped it into his mouth.

"Hey Sunny?" Basil looked at him.

"Hm?"

"Christmas is soon," Basil shifted, "Are you excited?"

Sunny nodded, "Yeah actually. Do you have plans that day?"

"I'm going to be spending the first half of the day with Polly," He shrugged, "I got her a sweater she had been wanting and a sun hat I saw her staring at when we were looking for more gardening supplies on amazon."

Sunny's eyes lit up, "Perfect! So you can come to Kel's later that day then?"

"Yeah I guess so."

Sunny smiled brightly and took another bite of the elephant ear. In his opinion it tasted like cardboard, but they had already bought it so he figured he'd eat at least some of it. He noticed Basil had stopped eating it awhile ago.