CH 22: THE AFFAIR

For the next ten days or so, it was calm and quiet.

The roof of the house was repaired and the quilt was changed. He Yan went to find a young manservant for He Yun Sheng who could help him to carry things and run errands. Qing Mei could also have a partner to talk with at home.

He Yun Sheng had already handed over his responsibilities to his servant and started going to academy every day, leaving He Yan alone in the house. In the absence of He Sui, He Yan was accompanied by Qing Mei and could always practice sword fighting in the yard...... ahem, with broken branches.

Her skills were engraved in her mind, but the body was really weak. Even if she fell down a little, the bruises that formed were rather obvious. Although He Yan diligently practiced everyday, her strength was not great. Compared to the past, it was still lacking.

It was a given that she couldn't go to the battlefield with a weak body. She sighed in her heart and laid down the branch.

"Miss, Miss," Qing Mei trotted in, "Someone was here to deliver something again."

He Yan frowned, "Who was it?"

"This servant doesn't know. They just delivered the things and left." Qing Mei was very embarrassed. "Miss, what should we do now? When the Young Master comes back from the academy, he will surely be enraged."

It was none other than the servants of the Fan family who came to deliver things. Since the day he saw He Yan in the tailor's shop, Fan Cheng had sent his servants to deliver things every now and then. It was always rouge powder, satin, jewelry or tonic soup.

He Yan asked Fan Cheng's servant to return back every time when they came to deliver something. He Yun Sheng always got furious whenever he came to know about the matter and would annoy He Yan by constantly yelling in her room. Because of this He Yan stopped going out these days for fear that she might run into Fan Cheng again thereby causing He Yun Sheng to raise the roof1 of the Fan family.

But today they were being excessive, what did they mean by leaving after putting things down? Were they confident that she would accept them whole-heartedly?

He Yan ordered, "Throw the things out."

"But," Qing Mei reluctantly said, "They are all expensive satin and jewelry...... throwing them out would be a big deal."

He Yan felt a headache.

For heaven's sake, she had lived her last life like a man and never met such a stubborn suitor. Although she later returned to the He family and was betrothed to Xu Zhi Hheng, Xu Zhi Heng never went out of line, and even alienated her, let alone reach such a degree of ingratiation. She did not know how other girls could deal with this type of situation.

What if such valuable things were thrown away, and the Fan family didn't come to realize it?

He Yan sighed and conceded, "I will send them back myself."

Qing Mei's eyes were wide open in shock and replied, "Does the Miss want to go to the door of the Fan mansion?"

"Is there any other way?" He Yan said, "Why don't you pack up and come with me?"

"Do you want this maid to accompany you?" Qing Mei shrank for a moment.

"Of course." He Yan looked at her strangely, "I can't remember the way to the Fan mansion."

She was not the original He Yan, that was why she didn't know the way to the Fan mansion. Naturally, she had to find someone to lead the way. However, looking at the appearance of Qing Mei lingering in fear, it became obvious that her last visit to the Fan mansion must have not been very pleasant.