CH 28: LATE NIGHT DRIZZLE

The night was so dark that even the raindrops seemed to be black.

The place where the sea and the sky met, in the deep sky, the moon shined brightly, like a ghost from the other side. The sounds of waves slowly dissipated, and the night became exceptionally quiet.

It was at this moment, that a woman's scream seemed to cut through this silence.

"Kill, kill..."

Gathered in a few small groups, away from the shore, the guards sat together as they waited for Fan Gong-zi's signal. When they first heard those miserable sounds, they were startled.

"What's going on? It's been so long, why is she still making trouble?" the head guard asked.

"The young master didn't send a signal, so let's just wait." someone said.

As Fan Gong-zi's guards for so many years, the most important thing for them was to guess what was on their master's mind. This kind of thing was natural. Fan Gong-zi had been the young master of the Fan family for many years. In addition to the woman admiring him on their own, there were a lot of women from good families who had been ruined. Today's situation, it has happened more than once. After abducting those women on boats or some other outsider's house, Fan Gong-zi would insult them. Those women were poor and had nowhere to complain, so they could only forget it.

Now, He Yan would also be one of them.

Originally, Miss He Yan had a deep affection for Fan Gong-zi, and there was no need to resort to such a method. But, who knew that after going off from the door of Fan's house, she would be so angry, that she really wanted to make a clean break with Fan Gong-zi. And he was aroused because of her refusal and resorted to this. But, come to think of it, for people like He Yan only a tough approach works.

What these guards had to do was just to bring He Yan to Fan Gong-zi, and what happened afterwards was none of their business.

"I don't think it is right." The head guard stood up and looked in the direction of the boat. He saw that Fan Gong-zi's boat shook violently in the river and it looked like someone had initiated a fight inside.

"No, there is a problem!" he shouted, "Get up! Hurry up. In the past, things never went this far."

When they heard the head guard, the rest of the people were startled and quickly boarded a small boat to head towards Fan Gong-zi's boat. As they came closer, they saw a woman who stumbled out and looked panicked. That woman was wearing He Yan's clothes, seemingly hiding from someone. Then, she jumped down and fell into the river, all the while screaming.

The river currents quickly swallowed her without any noise, just like a rock fallen in the river – only the sound of water splashing on the surface was heard. There was no more movement.

"The young master!" the head guard could not help calling out.

No one cared if He Yan lived or died. As the boat came closer to Fan Gong-zi's boat, the head guard climbed on their boat's bow and landed in Fan Gong-zi's boat. In just a few steps, he entered the inner part of the boat and saw someone who stood there. The person's back faced him, and his face was covered with a scarf with only his eyes exposed and his features were blurred under the dim light of the moon. At his foot was Fan Gong-zi's corpse lying in a pool of blood.

That masked man was holding a dagger in his hand.

The guard was so shocked when he saw this scene as he never expected to see such a person in the boat. Looking at Fan Gong-zi again, he was afraid that there would be more trouble in the future. A moment later, he regained his senses, furious and angry, and rushed towards the masked man without further thought, "You dare!"