CH 29: JOINING THE ARMY

"He went in this direction. Chase him!" The leader of the guards pointed to a direction and instructed the approaching unit of guards.

The guards were fully equipped and had numerous horses so they started to chase the person in the direction he pointed to. Fan Cheng's other guards looked at the leader, and someone asked in a trembling voice, "What should we do if the young master is dead?"

As Fan Cheng's bodyguard, they failed to protect him well. The Fan family would definitely hold them accountable, and subject them to punishments ranging from light to heavy. If they were mad, they might lose their lives, too.

"Who on earth killed the Young Master?" Someone asked.

"I've fought that man, and he has good skills," the leader clenched his fist, "I'm no match for him."

"Was he here for the young master? God, who the hell he is?"

Who knows? Fan Cheng had done many evil deeds. Since the man wanted Fan Cheng's life, he obviously had hated him for a long time. The girls who were abused by Fan Cheng also had parents and brothers. Maybe he took revenge for his relatives or a lover. The man was dead and everything would come to light once the murderer was caught.

"Miss He...," Someone finally remembered He Yan.

"She's dead."

If a person with no strength falls in such a deep and cold river, it would be fatal. So what? No one cared. If He Yan was alive, maybe she would be targeted by the Fan family. It was still better to die. At least the business of the He family would end here.

"If you die, you die." The leader said nonchalantly, "It's better to be dead."

In a word, He Yan's life was already doomed.

.......

The sound of horses' hoofs resounded in the depths of the street, and the people in the city were in a panic.

There was a young man, dressed in green, who walked quietly through the shattered temple where the beggars lived in a group and threw his wet old clothes into the abandoned well.

Her clothes had already been changed during the escape, she wore her spring tunics inside so all she had to do was throw off the clothes she wore on the outside. There was no need to wear a turban, so as not to attract attention. She touched the wall and got a layer of dust on her hands. She patted and smeared the black and gray dust and soot on her face. Her face which was white and clean, immediately turned black, giving her an appearance like... A teenager from an ordinary family who often worked outside.

But she still looked like a handsome teenage boy.

She walked forward without panic, as the city guards behind her arrested people everywhere, but He Yan's heart was not as calm as it appeared.

Fan Cheng's guards had fought with her. If they were being careful, they would recognize her. Appearances could be disguised, but size could not be deceived. The guards of the capital city were not trash eaters, and it was not easy to hide from them either. Moreover, if they interrogated the beggars at the temple, they would find out that they had seen a stranger. The gates of this city must have been sealed off by now, and until the next month, the city would be strictly investigated. If they searched people one by one, she would be discovered sooner or later.

It was a headache.

The Fan family was even more prosperous than she had imagined, and they called so many people to chase after her alone. He Yan didn't want to give up her life in vain.

Units of guards were closing in from every direction, and He Yan was in a precarious position.

Suddenly, she remembered something and stretched out her hand to pull out something from her sleeve.