Chapter 17 - Charcuterie

"A condition?" Aizawa repeated as he read through Izuku's notebook. He was aware of most of the problems his students were struggling with and tried to accommodate them, yet there was only so much he could do if they weren't willingly seeking out his help. Izuku nodded.
[Someone told me a quirk like this always has a fixed time limit or a condition, and they are right. I've been under the influence of this quirk for a month now, so the possibility of a condition being linked to this quirk is-]

"Yes, I understand your reasoning behind it, Midoriya" Aizawa said.
"But there was nothing about this in the file and the person who affected you didn't mention anything while being interrogated. If there's a secret condition to this quirk being released, nor the owner, nor the quirk registry know about it"
[That doesn't mean it's not true] Izuku pointed out.

"No, but it makes it highly unlikely" the teacher told him, closing the notebook and putting it down on the table between them.
"Look, I understand that you want to get rid of this quirk as soon as possible. It's frustrating. I'd like nothing more than for you to be able to talk again, believe me, but we can't rush to conclusions. We don't know whether or not a condition like this exists and if it did, we wouldn't know what it entailed. I'd like to ask you not to be too hopeful about this theory"

Izuku frowned. He understood where Aizawa sensei was coming from, he expected this, but it was still not something he'd like to hear.
"If that was all, I still have tests to correct" Aizawa sighed.
"We'll continue to do everything in our power to lift this quirk, Midoriya, I promise"
[I know, thank you] Izuku signed before taking his notebook and putting it away in his bag.

School had ended some time ago, but Izuku stayed behind to talk to his homeroom teacher about a possible new way to break the quirk instead of just waiting it out. But Aizawa sensei was right, like always. They had no idea what the condition was, if there even was one. And so it was back to the drawing board... He didn't get a lot of time to sulk about it though, the smell of cheese overwhelming his senses as he entered the dorm.

"Ah, Midoriya, mon ami, why don't you join us!"

The whole table was covered in small cheese and meat snacks, decorated to look like fancy platters.
"We're trying to define everyone's favorite cheese" Sero explained.
"It was my idea! And Iida approved!" Aoyama stated, clearly proud of this accomplishment.
"This is an excellent class bonding activity!" the class rep nodded. Izuku agreed, this looked like fun and the snacks seemed delicious.

"If I remember correctly, this was your favorite" Aoyama said, placing a piece of cheese in Midoriya's mouth. Izuku still thought it was a little odd, but he didn't mind anymore. It was just part of his friend's personality. The cheese Aoyama picked for him was indeed the one he liked the most and he gave him a thumbs up.
"Ah, success!" the sparkly boy exclaimed.

"The two of you are close, right?" Jirou asked, putting a few different snacks on her plate for her to try out.
"Why yes! We're dorm neighbors, after all! And Midoriya and I have a lot in common" Aoyama smiled. I'll never truly be his friend though. I could never. Not really. Not after everything I've done. Izuku's hand stilled as it hovered above some salami, his chewing slowing down.

Who am I kidding? Nobody here would want to be my friend if they knew what I really am... They wouldn't even want to be in the same room as me! No, don't think like that! All For One is in prison, he's locked away! I don't have to send it to him! But my parents... He still has minions out there... I can't risk it... But he wouldn't understand, he wouldn't want his son to be in a relationship with Bakugou! He'll play them out against each other... I don't want to be responsible for another kidnapping!

Traitor

That was the one word that circled in Izuku's mind. He knew the teachers' suspected there was a traitor in their midst since the League of Villains always seemed to know what they were up to while the knowledge was kept secret. Izuku knew they suspected a student, but he never imagined... He never thought it could be... There was no way... This had to be a lie! This couldn't be true!