:::::Chapter 39:::::

Author's Note: Apologies for this extremely tiny chapter. I didn't know that this chapter would turn out to be so short. 

I turn my head to face Alarick as he starts speaking to me, "You must be wondering why I've called you here. Well, here's the reason. I've called you here to break our bond." I am shocked at his words but I'm not the only one who is left shocked. The other people present in the living room are shocked as well. But not as shocked as me.

"Alarick, have you lost it?" Charles is the first one to react.

"Why are you shocked? You were the first one to know that I wanted to break the bond with my mate," Alarick tells him.

"I'm going to call Mr. West. He will knock some sense into you," Charles says as he heads towards the front door.

"Call whoever you want. No one will be able to stop me from breaking the bond," Alarick says firmly. Charles still proceeds towards the front door and soon leaves the pack house to call Mr. West.

"Alarick, why are you doing this?" I finally speak up. "I thought that there is some hope for us," I say, remembering the kiss that happened between us in his study earlier.

"There was never an 'us'," he says. "Samara, start the process."

"What process?" Matt asks.

"The process to break the bond between me and Chriselda," Alarick answers.

"But it is dangerous. You both can get killed!" Matt says.

"I'm ready," I say as I lock gazes with my mate.

"But-" Matt tries to say but I interrupt him.

"Matt, I already told you. I'll rather be dead then live with the fact that my mate doesn't want me." My own words hurt me to an extent that I thought that I would fall on my knees due to weakness. My eyes are glossy. I'm trying to hold back my tears.

"For this process, you both need to hold each other's hands," Samara instructs me and Alarick.

He walks towards me and I walk towards him. When we stand directly in front of each other, Alarick and I hold each other's hands. Samara starts mumbling something. Even though I have werewolf hearing, I'm not able to make out her words. Slowly, I feel myself getting weak. My head starts to ache. I start feeling dizzy. I feel the bond breaking slowly. And it's painful.

I hear the faint voice of Mr. West telling to stop. But I think it's too late to stop. I feel as if the life is being sucked out of me. Alarick and I collapse on the floor. I hear people screaming. As we lie on the floor and as people rush to us, Alarick and I look at each other before I find my eyes closing and being embraced by darkness.