Chapter 3〢Se dépêcher

Cora

9:44

It's been too long. 

Why did I feel like I missed her?

She's already making me the do stupidest thing ever and it's only been half an hour. "I'll die thinking this is a terrible idea you know." I grumbled as I began to crawl uncomfortably near the wall. Kiera, the self-appointed leader of this 'mission' was just as I was: on all fours and also positioned ahead of me as according to our expert here, it "creates less noise therefore drawing less attention to the exterior of the lounge " If I'm being completely honest with myself here, that didn't bother me at all because I got a sight I could easily get used to. 

We were soon outside the scene of conflict. Words were being exchanged as faintly audible whispers but we could manage. "Look, we can't involve the police. We risk exposure to the business and then, it's over. Marco was a great guy but he must clearly have been seen as a threat to have been killed by someone and we have family and most importantly properties to protect. We jeopardise the unearthing of so many ties to the business by this man's murder." Antoine's husky voice was easily recognisable even as it was more silent than usual. I never really saw Ki's dad much but he struck me to be a dominant, confident dude. I'm not totally sure who they were referring to but the name 'Marco' sounded familiar and I could tell by the look displayed on Ki's face that she felt the same.

"They might be talking about Marco Rizzi, the Italian businessman that occasionally came over with his son to our places for meetings. You had a cru-"

"My brain has been refreshed enough now, I know who you mean." I blurted, my lips arranged into a fake, slightly embarrassed smile and my eyes into a dead glare aimed at Ki. I didn't have a crush on Marco's son- Matteo Rizzi (which is what she was about to say). I had a crush on someone else but it was just easier to use him as cover. After all, he wasn't unattractive and his dad was pretty close to our family so I knew people around me wouldn't not approve of it. However, I've tried my best to forget about that phase for the past year.

"Ç'est vrai, it wouldn't be wise to involve the police seeing as our entire careers would be at stake. I've informed HQ in France and the investigation is now in the hands of a private detective company as it's only right that we should identify the criminal to avoid more deaths. Justice remains a priority." My dad spoke with a sense of assurance but something behind his words seemed rehearsed to a degree. He's never been an emotional man but he's always been in control. Maybe sometimes quite a little too much. 

"I believe Marco also had a son, do we have any updates on how he's holding up? A father figure is an important part of a child's life." It was presumably my mother who spoke this time, with a sense of uneasiness behind her words. "You women, always caring about the household, go take care of him if he worries you so much. He's a strong man now and about to inherit his father's fortunes." "No Antoine, she has a point. And additionally, Marco left a will excluding his son." Again, it's my  dad who seems to be the most updated. I've always thought they had equal ground in their business but I guess I was misinformed. Come to think of it....I don't actually know what they do for a living, never have. 

Murmurs spread around the room questioning the newfound information.

"That's insane. He specialised in finance and was very close to his fils." Ki was right, something wasn't quite right, but what? There was an equal amount of disbelief from inside and outside the room. Our thoughts were only echoed by the parents in the lounge, excluding the bearer of news of course."I can't say for sure, young ones these days are easily influenced by the wrong things, there may have been some sort of argument between the two, pre-tragedy? Ç'est possible, non?" suggested Elise, Ki's mom. She always thinks she knows everything but ever since I became close to Kiera, I've noticed the way she treats her, especially during instances like what happened at the dining table. "Oui, c'est possible. He will be going to a safe house in Sicily with some members of his family, guarded until the killer is captured and things settle down." reponds my dad.

All at once, a cell phone chime rings throughout the room, followed by a voice. "Pardon, excusez-moi." 

Aline...

The volume of footsteps increased as they stomped towards the door,

Towards Kiera and I. 

Shit.