Chapter Eighteen | 'We'll cross that bridge when we come to it'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

I waited.

Waiting for Clark to finish his shift, my auntie is coming tomorrow morning. This is my only night of freedom and let alone the fact my work is due in a few weeks. I look up and see Clark exiting the hardware store, he gives me a great smile as he rushes towards me.

"Well, hello, little one!"

"Did you bring it?"

"Hello to you too, and yes, I did bring it." I push him gently as we begin walking towards the drain, I need to figure out who Diávolos is. Especially after that memory.

I am smart.

I figure and observe these things.

It is six o'clock in the afternoon, and Clark is still telling me about his day as we take the right turn into the alley. I remember the drain and sprint to it, Clark following behind me and handing me the bag as we sit down on the floor. "So, what are we doing this time?"

"Cathy dropped my necklace inside, and I desperately need it." Clark nods, and I take out the big screwdriver and start unscrewing the small screws around the drain. Fortunately, Clark purchased two, which meant we could work twice as fast.

"I have a date with this boy called Ethan on Thursday." My eyes lit up.

"Are you serious? Oh my god!" I wrap my arms around his neck, he chuckles and hugs me back. "So, talk to me about him."

"He's amazing, funny but...he wants to keep us a secret." I could sense something wrong with his voice, "I just...I don't want us to be a secret...I want to go to a restaurant and show our happiness...he doesn't like public places."

"Maybe he's not ready to tell people," Clark shrugs his shoulders.

"I'm aware of it, and I understand it. I really do, but I am sick of having dates in the janitor's cupboard. This necklace better be fucking worth it," he said after unscrewing the drain lid and covering our noses from the stench.

Oh, trust me. It is worth it.

This necklace is going to give me all the answers.

I grab a stone from the floor and drop it down the drain, it is not that deep. I look up at Clarke, "go on."

"Oh, hell no! You want it, you get it." My phone rings, and I see Cathy calling. I decide to call her later, I take a deep breath and stand up. I grab the ladder and step inside, but my foot slips and my grip tightens around the metal. When I look up at Clark, he nods and says, "I'm here."

He comforts me. I take a few more steps, and he hands me the torch, which I flick open. My heart starts singing as I see the necklace; thankfully, the drain is empty, but dirt seems to find its way to my skin. I pick up the necklace and toss the torch at it before turning it around.

My eyes widen.

It could not be.

It is in Greek!

Clark and I parted ways after I spent two hours attempting to figure it out. I dash to the house because I nearly figured it out! I nearly figured it out!

I only need to type the words into my laptop to find out who Diávolos is. I dash through my driveway, pull out my keys, insert them, and close the door behind me before making my way to my bedroom. I fling open my cabinet doors and toss my bag to the floor.

I finally put it together, I pin the necklace to the back of my cupboard door and close my eyes.

This entire time.