Chapter Twenty | 'A blessing in disguise'

A L E X A N D R A | J O N E S

Auntie Coraline has gone a bit crazy about how big I have gotten; she has not stopped talking about how identical we both look. I looked nothing like her. No offence to Auntie Coraline but she was the polar opposite. "So, they still into the Jesus stuff?" She whispers, we both look up to see mum and dad cooking the potatoes.

"Yes Auntie, we are catholic." Auntie Coraline rolls her eyes, I could not stop the laughter leaving my mouth.

"You old sobs are boring, come on, talk to me...any boys?" Auntie Coraline is my favourite aunt, she winks at me. She did not believe in God and believes that if there is a God, why does he punish good people? And I believe that on some grounds, but not on others... I was raised Catholic, and not obeying God seems strange to me.

She yanks my arms from under my chin to grasp my attention, "well...there is this one boy..."

"Ares." I rose a brow, how did she know? "Is it him? I missed that bastard; I knew he wouldn't give up on you."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Auntie Coraline gives me eyes of sadness, she look behind me to see if my parents were busy enough to speak. She takes my hands in hers and pulls me in close.

"You were in love with a boy named Ares, I remember you telling me...babbling about how annoyingly handsome he is and how he likes to watch you paint...I know you know. I'm no stupid fool Alexandra Jones." She gives me the mum stare.

"How?"

"Because...when two souls are meant to be...they will be...and Ares...he loves you more than his own life. I used to see the way he looked at you, the way he made you smile and the way he stood-"

I wanted her to continue but my mother interrupts up as she settles down the food onto the table. Ares told me that no one knew. But clearly Auntie Coraline knew way before the accident. She is a woman filled with more than one secret, everywhere i turn...secrets.

I kept my gaze fixed on my mother throughout the meal. How could she keep something so important from me? She looks up at me every once in a while, but I snap out of it.

Ares was the next thought that came to mind. What if I never remember what he was like to me? What was I to him? What did I think of him? I thought my life was boring and uninteresting, but I was clearly mistaken.

Auntie Coraline continues to talk about her trip to Africa and how she smoked weed near the tigers and all, if looks could kill. Auntie Coraline would be dead by now. My mother put on her judge face, but I really enjoyed her stories. They were thrilling.

When dinner was finished, mum and dad went to bed. Leaving just me downstairs, Auntie Coraline is standing next to me with her arms folded over her chest. She analyses me. "Don't give up, no matter what is thrown in your face. Don't you dare give up Jones." I drop the plate back into the sink, turning my head to face her.

"What if i never remember who he was to me? I could only believe the words..."

"You don't need memories to know you are in love." She whispers, kissing the side of my head.

"Why didn't you tell me? If you knew..., why did you let this go one for two years?" I questioned.

"Because...when the time is right it will come out. And it was not my place to tell." She retires to the guest bedroom downstairs; I leave the dishes for tomorrow and make my way to my bedroom. I close the door behind me and make sure it is locked, seeming that I cannot trust anyone in this house.

I turn and my eyes are locked with his green ones, oh the colours of the forest. I felt like I was in the Avatar jungle with just a glimpse. Ares sat on the couch near the window, as if he was waiting for me to come up.