nine

F L O R E N C E

It isn't until a few minutes later that Massimo starts to move from under me. He rises while keeping me in his secure arms. A sharp burn runs through my ribs at the sudden movement. I yelp in pain.

White hot pain sears through my body. My chest and ribs burn in agony. I am humiliated because he saw my secrets. He will pity me now. He probably hates me for all I know. It's not like he has shown any sort of interest up until now. Maybe he is finally going to kick me out? Maybe this was his final straw with me; that I am too much of a burden on him.

"It's okay, we need to take you to a doctor." He kisses my temple. He grabs my notepad and then a blanket from my bed. When he steps out of my dark room and into the bright hallway, I hide my eyes into his neck.

When did the lights get so bright?

"Is she okay?" Dominic's voice asks making me look up. There in all their glory stands all of my brothers. Lucien looks worried and terrified, a sight that makes no sense to me seeing as he hates me. Why does he look like he cares when I know he doesn't? Dominic looks tired but when we make eye contact he smiles warmly at me. I don't smile back. Emilio looks as if he may cry.

A single shake from Massimo's head silently tells them that I am not okay.

I am not okay and I never will be okay.

He starts to walk. I lower my head on his shoulder again, this time turning to the right so I can see the walls we walk past. Every step sends a quick pain through my ribs and chest. My breathing automatically shallows.

"It's okay, we will get you some help Flo. Then you can heal and be good as new." Mass says to me. I can't believe him though.

From the sound of multiple footsteps behind us it is obvious the whole family is coming with us. That is something I am not too fond of. It's bad enough Massimo of all people has to deal with this, but them? It only makes me more of a burden. Also, I don't want Lucien around me. He scares me. So does Massimo, but I am trying to trust him.

I think I can trust him, I mean he swore his pinky's life. If he breaks his promise I can kill his pinky. I won't of course, but it would be in his best interest to not break our deal. But Lucien scares me. I don't like the way he looks at me or the way he speaks down to me. I don't know what I ever did to him. All I know is that I don't want him to be mad at me and if that means avoiding him at all costs then that is what I will have to do.

"I will drive." Lucien says as Massimo carefully places me on one of the back seats. Dominic slides in on one side of me and Emilio takes the other. They squish me in the middle, and normally I would be pissed, but now I have to human cushions I could lean on.

As the drive to the hospital progresses, it becomes harder to breath. Emilio is quick to wipe the tears from my eyes but I can't help but muffle a sob as Lucien drives over the speed limit.

"We are almost there princess." Dominic tells me, while simultaneously rubbing my arm.

"Use your fingers baby, how much pain are you in?" I hold up eight. It has been worse but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like a bitch.

Lucien pulls into a parking lot and after that everything passes in a blur. My head starts to fog up, and my eyes start to droop. Someone is carrying me seeming to be in a rush. Muffled voices is all I can decipher before the lights start to dim, and before I pass out.

-

E M I L I O

We sit on the uncomfortable chairs as we wait for Florence to wake up. She passed out two hours ago on our way to a doctor that we have working in our headquarters. His name is Charles. He is on call just in case someone is shot or injured in the line of fire. But he is also around as a time-to-time doctor who does family check ups and what not. He is a trusted member of our mafia, having been with us since our grandfather was in charge.