57

The corners of Shen Yu's mouth slowly straightened. He didn't know if this happened in his previous life and caused Jiang HuaiQing to be implicated in the cheating scandal. At any rate, in this life, those people decided to target Jiang HuaiQing.

Jiang HuaiQing wrote about it in a joking tone. Obviously he didn't take it seriously.

Shen Yu glanced at Shang JunLin. The man's face was terrifyingly grim.

"Your Majesty?"

"This emperor didn't know there were people with the courage to do such a thing! No wonder, no wonder they fought so hard over the examination procedures."

"Your Majesty, don't be angry. We don't know for certain if it's true yet. Have the Hidden Dragon Guard investigate it first, and then we'll know," Shen Yu said soothingly.

"Investigate! Yes, it must be thoroughly investigated!"

"Send someone to Jiang HuaiQing. Maybe we can catch those people in the act." Shen Yu turned around, coming face-to-face with Shang JunLin. "Since they've done this, they must be targeting more than just Jiang HuaiQing, like other scholars who are similar to him. You should send people to keep an eye on them."

"Just as Ah Yu says." Shang JunLin held Shen Yu's wrist. There was a bloodthirsty chill in his eyes.

"I'll write back to Jiang HuaiQing and tell him not to do anything rash." Shen Yu flexed the letter in his hand. "I wonder if anyone else has read this."

Shang JunLin considered it. "There are no doubts about the people on our side. It depends on whether Jiang HuaiQing's messenger is trustworthy."

"There's no need to be too concerned. We met Jiang HuaiQing under different identities. Even if other people saw us, they won't expect this letter to fall into our hands," Shen Yu said.

"Yes, this time it's really thanks to Ah Yu. If Ah Yu hadn't become acquainted with Jiang HuaiQing, he wouldn't have told us about this. Perhaps this emperor will soon learn exactly how brave those people are."

Shang JunLin printed a kiss on Shen Yu's forehead. "Ah Yu is my lucky star."

Seeing that Shang JunLin had calmed down, Shen Yu breathed a sigh of relief. "It's also thanks to Your Majesty for bringing me out of the palace.

"Actually, I think we should thank the King of Yue as well." Shen Yu deliberately adjusted the atmosphere. "If not for all the noise he made, we wouldn't have met Jiang HuaiQing."

"Then it's all the more reason to thank Ah Yu. If Ah Yu hadn't suggested sending letters to the King of Yue's beauties, the events at Yingxing House wouldn't have happened." Thinking of this, Shang JunLin smiled gently.

Shen Yu lifted the corners of his lips. "True."

Every step was a matter of fate. Without each of those things, they wouldn't have reached the current result.

After writing the letter, Shen Yu showed it to Shang JunLin. Then he gave it to the Hidden Dragon Guard to be delivered to Jiang HuaiQing.

Elsewhere in the city, Jiang HuaiQing was talking to Hè ChengYu.

"You have no idea how odd that man was. He stopped me and said I was the chosen one, saying that if I listen to them, I'll get the top score with no trouble at all. How could I be that stupid? Unless he's the Emperor himself—oh, wait, not even His Majesty controls the outcome of the exam."

In order to ensure absolute fairness and impartiality, the officials who graded the examination papers weren't permitted to see the names of the examinees. Only after the marking was completed would they see everyone's score.